Electrical & Lights Drivers Window

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by LostBoke, Friday 12th Apr, 2019.

1. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hi, I've got a new little(?) problem.
    The drivers window opens and closes perfectly, unless I open it fully. When trying to close it from fully open, it comes up about two inches and the goes down again. It may be a coincident, but with the engine off (but ignition on) it closes with no problem.
    Apart from ' don't open it', any ideas would be appreciated.

LB

2. mw88 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can't really offer much advise, but I tend to have a similar issue when it's cold.

Not too sure whether it's the mechanism that needs greasing, or there's an electrical gremlin lurking but sometimes after the window goes back down the up switch stops working for a few seconds (Motor/Computer probably thinks it's still on the way up)

3. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Have you changed anything to do with the door/window... It sounds like it needs to be reset which normally happens when something changes and the auto window functions has to relearn.

NOTE: To start the reset procedure, first do driver's power window master switch (steps 1-8), and then front passenger's power window switch (steps 9-11), if equipped.
    Driver's Power Window
    1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
    2. Move the power window all the way down by using the power window DOWN switch.
    3. Open the driver's door.
    4. Do the following four times before going to step 5: NOTE: Do each bullet step within 5 seconds of each other.
    Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
    Push and hold the driver's power window DOWN switch.
    Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
    Release the driver's power window DOWN switch.
    5. Confirm that AUTO UP no longer works. If AUTO UP still works, go back to step 1.
    6. Move the power window all the way down using the power window DOWN switch.
    7. Pull up and hold the power window UP switch until the power window is all the way up, then continue to hold the switch for several seconds.
    8. Confirm that the power window control unit is reset by using the power window AUTO UP and AUTO DOWN function.

If the power window still does not work in AUTO, repeat the procedure several times, paying close attention to the 5 second time limit between steps.

LostBoke likes this.
  4. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    mw88,Thanks for your reply, maybe your suffering from the problem that can be fixed by Hecklers advice?

Heckler, Thanks for that, I haven't had any (known) changes to the windows, but it certainly won't hurt to use the procedure that you've given - here's hoping....

5. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had something similar when I bought my car two years ago. The window would operate fine when I held the switch and operated it manually using the single stage open/close, however it operated a little slow and dragged a little, when using the auto close function the window would do as you have, though at a much higher up location. There is a built in feature on the auto close window that if the window "feels" resistance it will automatically open again. This is due to the feature built in to prevent children from accidentally choking themselves with the power windows, why its not on all the windows I don't know.

To solve this I used a can of silicone lubricant and sprayed this down the glass runners of the window, both sides. I then operated the window a few times to work the silicone up and down the runners. Its been fine ever since. I make a point of doing this from time to time, which does improve things. However the silicone is a pain to clean off the glass for a while afterwards.

LostBoke and jd1959 like this.
  6. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    I went to do the business on the window today, only to find the drivers door was not fully latched, this had caused the battery to drain (interior light on). I had not touched the car since Friday and the only other person was my wife who (kindly) offered to change the silicon moisture bag. But it wasn't her (says she) because she never opened the door to change it??
    The battery's on charge now, so I'll try tomorrow.

Harvey likes this.
  7. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh dear mate, that's not so good. I was under the impression the courtesy lights go off if they've been on too long to prevent the battery going flat. Well not unless the door was moving in the breeze and setting them off again.

8. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Thanks Harvey, I'm assuming it was the courtesy lights, or door light but, as nothing was working I don't know for sure.

Harvey likes this.
  9. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

no jump leads to jump start it?

10. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    I could not access this site yesterday, was there a problem?

Harvey, yes, I have jump leads but, as I was not in a rush I decided to use my charger.

This turned out to be a mistake, as the next morning I found the the charger had packed up during the night.
    The trouble is, I think, you rarely use a charger so it sits in the shed and deteriorates and probable be comes a home for spiders etc.

Anyhow, after all that, I did both things recommended by Heckler and Harvey and, at the moment, all seems fine.

BTW, the car's going in for the first service and MOT since I've owned it next Tuesday - fingers crossed.

11. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Take a flat bladed screwdriver and some rag, then a spray bottle of soapy liquid.
    Spray the bottle of liquid into the window channels front and rear and use a piece of rag over the end of the screwdriver and slide it up the channel and regularly change the piece of rag that will become filthy,
    Once this is done I spray some Rainex into channels and make the window go up and down a few times.
    See if this corrects the issue.

LostBoke and Harvey like this.
  12. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hi Bounder, thanks for that. I think I've got window mania now. This weekend I'm going to give all the windows your treatment plus the silicone. With any luck the windows will slam shut so fast they'll go into orbit :Smile:
    BTW what's Rainex? (Oh! LB why not Google it?)

honda_saj likes this.
  13. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good old rainx water repellant.

LostBoke likes this.
  14. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Ah!

Harvey likes this.
  15. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Well, after the reset, channel cleaning and siliconing, I now have the Usain Bolt of electric windows.
    So thanks to all for you very helpful advice.

LB

honda_saj likes this.
  16. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's excellent news. I'm surprised how many people have complained about sticking windows and not thought about cleaning the channels and lubricating them up.

LostBoke likes this.
  17. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    What is more it will ease the load on your window regulator as well. Glad you got it sorted.

honda_saj, Harvey and LostBoke like this.
  18. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    The simplest fixes are always missed :eek:

Harvey likes this.