Suspension, Steering and Brakes DRIVE SHAFTS!!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Loky, Thursday 22nd Aug, 2019.

1. Loky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Loky Scarborough
    Hi chaps, well I've got the dreaded wobble when accelerating from 50+ which I've been told is the driveshafts, my question is where can I get replacement ones apart from honda as they have quoted me £500 just for 1. Thanks

2. MattBeardless Service Team H-Tune Staff

The complete driveshaft probably isn't at fault, it's worth checking to see if there's vertical play in a CV joint. From there, replace the CV at a much lower cost and it should kill the death wobble.

Please let us know if we can help at all.

Regards.

3. Loky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks matt, would that be the inner CV joint?

4. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Outter, about ~30pounds / each. upload_2019-8-23_9-37-16.

5. Loky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, and will replacing both outer CV joints cure the wobble?

6. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    First try to inspect them somehow.
    As Matt said "it's worth checking to see if there's vertical play in a CV joint". If there is a play from the outter shaft (near wheel, NOT the gearbox) then yes. It will cure a wobble.
    If there is a wobble in CV joint near gearbox side, than you should replace whole drive shaft.

7. Loky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers, I'll have a look when I get chance, it's getting quite annoying now.

8. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Check the large compliance bush if it has any wear or is soft then it can lead to a lot of driveshaft wobble.
    I had this in my previous 7th Generation estate and I initially suspected driveshafts but when I replaced the front compliance bushes with PSB polyurethane ones the wobble disappeared and the strange tyre wear on the shoulders also disappeared.
    Try prying the bush in the horizontal plane and see if it moves in and out if there is movement there try new bushes first before you go down the driveshaft route they are much cheaper than drives but can be a bugger to fit.

honda_saj and MattBeardless like this.
  9. MattBeardless Service Team H-Tune Staff

Contrary to what @julekasMobilek, I usually see the inners failing before the outers.
    Can I just say, I know it's off topic, I bloody love your CW3.

SayamaAccord and Bounder like this.
  10. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I'm rather fond of it myself.

MattBeardless likes this.
  11. mw88 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can't remember where I got mine from a few years ago, but they would have been some cheap generic stuff from ECP or another similar supplier for a few hundred £. They were fine for 60-70k miles.

I probably paid a bit more, as I couldn't get the surcharge back.
    IMG_1852.JPG

honda_saj likes this.
  12. Loky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did noticed the compliance Bush looked cracked/crazed. Would it be worth changing that before d/s?
    - - - Updated - - -
    I doubt I will own the car in 60/70k time haha but still don't want to risk it happening

13. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    In my experience with the 7th Generation I would definitely change the bushes first, if they are cracked and crazed then they are probably past their best,
    My wobble and tyre wear issues were sorted after the bushing change, no need to fork out big money for new shafts if the problem is only the bushings.

MattBeardless likes this.
  14. Loky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the 8th Generation, if that makes any difference

15. MattBeardless Service Team H-Tune Staff

I'm pretty sure they're, unfortunately, both known for it-though I the 7th is more common.

16. Loky Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm, I've also heard adamantly it's the inner CV joints, really don't want to spend 100s unnecessarily.

17. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    i'm about 99% sure there different to the 7th Generation, also have you had a garage check them...

18. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    They are a different part number and the dimensions are different but the setup is the same and prone to the same issues.

andy83 likes this.