Electrical & Lights Door switch driving me crazy

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by CristianGaspar, Friday 4th Jan, 2019.

1. CristianGaspar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    Hi all,
    I hope you can help me solve a problem that I'm trying to crack for about a year on my second hand Honda Accord Tourer 2008 EX 2.2 I-DTEC (LHD) .
    The door switch on the driver's side doesn't work, so a few times I forgot the light on, and I'm afraid that one day I'll drain the battery, especially now in the winter.

Here's what's going on:
    - no chime for lights on, key in contact when opening the door, no dome light or courtesy light.
    - dome light and courtesy light work when opening any other door
    - chime for "no seat belt" works
    - door switch (jamb) sensor works, I swapped the sensors between them and always works on the other doors
    - no blown fuse under hood or driver's side
    - the switch has a brown wire, and I noticed a brown wire as well in a socket right under the driver's fuse box (I'll try to attach a photo. I tested for continuity between the switch socket and the one I located (arrow in the picture), and there is none. However, there are two more brown cables going around in the same location (circle in the photo).
    Can anyone let me know where the door switch cable goes to, so that maybe I can try a fix? If it ends up that it's not a wire, the only problem that I can think about is the MCU itself.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions. IMG_20190104_141839__01__01.

2. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    before jumping to MICU did you meter out all fuses on egine bay and footwell bay ?

3. CristianGaspar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    I used the diode setting on the multimeter to check the fuses, and all seem OK, no issues.

4. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

next stage is to meter out using volts before repalcing MICU

5. CristianGaspar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    I'm new to using a multimeter, but shouldn't a fuse have voltage passing through it in order to measure it? Can you let me know what fuse locations to measure, and how to make sure that there is a current passing through the fuse?

6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would start at cabin this is my way of doing.

Summary of car wiring, battery feeds engine fusebox and then feeds into footwell fusebox with MICU that allows duplex functions.

Engine Bay fusebox and Footwell fusebox
    • set meter to continuity remove each fuse and physically test each fuse do not rely on window i have had failed fuses that look fine
    • set meter to dc above 12v around 20v will be fine remove fuse or with fuse in test by touching contacts with fuse removed you will see 12v on one side of terminal, with working fuse inseted there should be 12v on both sides
    • if eveything is working in engine fusebox move to footwell
    Report back your findings and then i can guide you from there.

k20a3 likes this.
  7. CristianGaspar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    I'm sorry for the late reply, the heavy snowfall made it hard to get under the hood.
    I performed the checks, and the only fuses that got me thinking were:
    1. Fuze 8 on driver's side (STS), no voltage with engine on or off. I didn't check it while starting the engine though.
    2. Fuze 6 on passenger's side (interior lights) no voltage with engine on or off, lights on or off.
    I replaced both fuses just to be sure, and I don't see any problem with the interior lights. Also, everything looks good on the fuses under the hood. I must mention that I only checked the small fuses, not relays and other parts in the fuse box.

Any idea what I should look at next?

8. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why is fuse 10 missing that control MICU ?
    Check this and replace and report back thanks.

9. CristianGaspar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    Not sure, I bought the car like that. I'll add it, I think it's a 10A fuse, right?
    Any idea if that might be the culprit?

10. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats the one thats controls MICU please add and report back your alarm siren may go ignore that and report all other items work thanks.

11. CristianGaspar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    Added fuse, everything is still the same. No new problems noticed, old problem still there

12. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Did you check for voltage on terminal 10 ?

13. CristianGaspar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    I forgot about that, didn't take the multimeter with me. I'll check it in the morning.

honda_saj likes this.
  14. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Let me know if voltage is going in and out we can decide where to go from there

15. CristianGaspar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    Just checked, there is voltage in terminal 10.

16. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you have voltage coming in and out of fuse 10 then next stage would be to replace MICU you can do final tests insert fuse 10 and check for voltage on light with no key inserted and key turned to ignition and report back :Smile:

17. CristianGaspar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    I tested both with and without key turned on, and there is voltage. I just need to find a way to plug a small wire next to the brown one before I give up.
    I tried to pull out that connecter, bot for the life of me I didn't manage to (very tight in there). I'll try to look at a way to do that, and get a ground in there. If I manage to, and nothing happens, then it's probably the MICU. If I get some signs of life, I assume that the wire is shot between the switch and the connecter.
    And regarding a MICU replacement, how difficult do you estimate the work to be? I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I would also want to keep the car running

honda_saj likes this.
  18. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    try to replace passenger window switch.

honda_saj likes this.
  19. CristianGaspar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    I'm not sure I understand. I don't know what exactly you refer to as window switch, and also there is no problem on the passenger side.

20. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

MICU is a unit back of fottwell fusebox easy enough to do hovewer fiddly and restricted space.