Door handle Removal

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by benkei, Wednesday 30th Dec, 2009.

1. benkei Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Whilst trying to sort out my door locking problem, I thought I'd have a look at how the door handles come out. I read on a few posts about there being 2 screws and a horse shoe clip? The two screws are obvious, but the horse shoe clip I need confirmation of...

Screws are circled in red, and is the horse shoe clip what I've circled in blue on the back of the lock? And how does the rod circled in green come out?

lock2.

2. Bernardini Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

slide the horse shoe clip of with a pair of long nose plyers. The gold bit on the metal rod comes apart from the plastic (not 100%) sure). :Smile:

3. benkei Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, this is what I suspected! :Smile:

4. Bernardini Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

no probs mate. I took my door handle off my car, took me ages and couldn't figure out why haha!

5. Dr Motel Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

it took me ages to do this also! Getting the barrel out i the hardest part but once thats done you are away!

6. chelt_scene Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

7. Jameshop Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

& flamethrower

8. tombowman12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Where you have circled blue there is a metal plate! There is a slit at the bottom and you should be able to see a gold wire clip! You'll need a small hook to pull it down! Then when that's out, the rest is easy!

They are a right chunt! Took me ages to figure out!

9. benkei Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ahh, I can see a small gold wire just down and left a little from the blue circle, is that the one you mean? That pulls down?

How easy is putting it all back?? :Messed:

10. DanF Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its so much easier to put it back.

Its just that clip is a pain in the ass to get out. It does require some swearing

11. Dr Motel Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes that gold pin you can see, get a punch in there and push the pin down, don't PUSH IT OUT! it makes it harder to put back in otherwise. So when you push the clip down push the key barrel from the outside in and it will drop out :Smile: