Suspension, Steering and Brakes Does 2014 CR-V have drum brakes for parking

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by phil-k, Monday 29th Apr, 2019.

1. phil-k Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom phil-k stoke on trent
    I have had my CR-V for about 3 weeks now and it has been creaking from the rear end when using the handbrake on a slope, which I have read a few owners have. After a trip yesterday there was a sort of acrid smell from the rear when I got out.
    If these do have a separate drum for the handbrake I wonder if they are sticking.
    I have a 12 month Honda warranty with it, this should be covered under that shouldn't it. I will have to take it to a different dealer other than where I bought it as its a distance away, they also serviced it before handing it over so I would have thought the parking brakes would have been checked
    Thanks

2. phil-k Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Found out the answer from my local Honda service centre, they only have disc brakes. It seems anything to do with the braking system doesn't come under the Honda Warranty anyway according to them, so I phoned up the dealership where I bought it and it is booked in later this week, no problem, although they did do an MOT and service on it so should sort it out.
    I think something has gone or seized up with the handbrake system and the handbrake is only holding on one side, that why it is making the noise as its struggling to hold the weight, the handbrake lever did start to come up a bit further recently and I thought it was the self adjustment, but then the noise started.
    I have seen a few posts in different forums about creaking brakes when using the handbrake so I wonder if this is a common problem

3. phil-k Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update, it seems my local Honda dealer service centre do not know what they are talking about, the dealership where I bought it said it does have drum brakes for parking which I have confirmed when I saw a video how to exchange the rear combined disc and drum assembly,
    The dealership where I bought it were not much better though and said they couldn't find anything wrong. When I mentioned the creaking the mechanic just said "some of this model does that" which I think is rubbish, I couldn't be bothered to return there again.
    I have now booked it in to my local garage to see if as I think the drum need cleaning out and the shoes need looking at