General Disable keyless entry

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Chriscrv, Monday 26th Nov, 2018.

1. Chriscrv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Chriscrv London
    Hello,

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the keyless entry?

Thanks

2. TheDarkKnight Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not possible.

Although, am curious why you'd want to do this in the first place?

3. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Chris,

As above, what is the reason you want to do this?

Answer to this may help us advise you further.

4. Chriscrv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello

The main reason that I would like to disable that feature is for security. It looks like this feature increased the theft of cars in UK significantly the last couple of years (check that link: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/100213/uk-car-thefts-soar-by-56-per-cent ) due to the smart technology that thieves can use. There are plenty of articles, even videos of how thieves can stole a keyless entry car within 60 seconds by using a transmitter & receiver that can easily buy from the internet.
    I know there are some gadgets out there that can prevent/block the key signal but I think it will be much better if there is a way to manually disable the keyless entry for piece of mind.

5. TheDarkKnight Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry, but I don't share your paranoia.

If someone is intent on stealing a car, they will. No deterrent will prevent that.

Second, CR-Vs are not exactly sought after for car theft. Honda keyless systems are very good and arent as poor as those found on more commonly stolen/intercepted junk BMWs and the like.

Also, how would a would-be thief even KNOW that your CR-V is keyless for a start?

As sad as it may sound - you ultimately have two choices. Enjoy the car and let insurance deal with the theft issue if it happpens (and I hope it never does for anyone), or secondly, get rid of the car and get something else that isnt keyless. Really dismayed and flummoxed you'd buy a car with keyless tech to then want to disable it.

Sounds utterly daft.

6. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Paranoia can't be helped but at the same time trying to circumvent the vehicles own security system isn't the right approach either.

On the plus side, if you look at any listed ordered by make of cars stolen, Honda don't even get a mention.

Last edited: Wednesday 28th Nov, 2018
  7. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

8. Chriscrv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you all for your replies.
    I don't think that I am paranoid, I just see the security from a different perspective.
    I'm not looking to completely disable that feature but what I am after is to disable the keys from sending any signal to the car.
    I checked today the manual but I didn't find anything related to that so I assume it is not supported.

9. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

On Lexus cars, pressing the lock button twice disables the keyless entry, I've not seen anything similar on the Honda's unfortunately.

Perhaps try that in the hope that it's an undocumented "feature" :crazyeyes:

10. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Your not paranoid it’s a perfectly reasonable question to ask and is obviously a flaw in the security system if it can be hacked by a relay transmitter/amplifier
    Many moons ago I had friends who would take out the distributor cap as an anti theft method - But tech has moved on
    ( yes ok l’am getting on a bit :Smile:)

andy83 likes this.
  11. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hello @Chriscrv, look into ghost immobiliser system, it's a secondary immobiliser. A pin will need to be entered before starting the car. The pin will be of your choice in a set sequence and integrated into the existing buttons on the car such as radio or steering wheel buttons.
    Car will not start without the pin.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  12. Davec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Chippenham
    Spend £5 on a faraday cage bag from Amazon and the problem is solved. I have tested mine and it definitely stops the car from opening when the key is in the bag.

jr19862203 likes this.
  13. Beefy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    There is no documented method to disable/bypass the keyless system, it’s all integrated within the immobiliser system. I share the sentiment of others that if someone wants to nick your car there going to do it regardless. You don’t really want to add further immobilisers as it would become an inconvenience.they need your keys RF ID which changes each time the ignition is cycled. So shielding you key until you get to the car is prob the best/cheapest and less agrivating solution

honda_saj likes this.
  14. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Put a damned great yellow steering wheel lock on it. Old fashioned and probably easy to get round, but it would slow them down so may put them off :Niceone:

cat-guy and honda_saj like this.
  15. jr19862203 New Member Getting Started

Scotland Forfar
    Completely agree with this, I even did a few tests on a discovery sport and Peugeot 108 both with keyless entry and even with the key in the bag right next to the door handle it won’t open.

DrSam and SpeedyGee like this.
  16. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

This is a lot more effective, wouldn't take too much more to link it to an alarm or whatever I imagine, it will alert anyone nearby with its noise, will prevent anyone from ever trying to steal your, or anyones car again. No need for long drawn out and expensive investigations etc. Judge, jury and executioneer. Might happen to accidentally hit the switch when the wife is next to it?? :Whistle:

DrSam likes this.