Brochures & Promo Development of New 1.0 L I3 Gasoline Direct Injection Turbocharged Downsizing Engine PDF

Honda Civic 2017 [FK6-P10A2]

1. Dom H-Tune ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ichiban submitted new literature:

Development of New 1.0 L I3 Gasoline Direct Injection Turbocharged Downsizing Engine - Honda Civic 2017 [FC1-L15B7, L15BB]

Check the full literature here.

rogerdeep and honda_saj like this.
  2. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    very good to see 1l tc

3. andy83 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    This R&D review is great and shows Honda know how to carry on going forward, A 1 litre 3 cylinder VTEC turbo and great MPG :Thumbup:..
    :gohonda:is here to stay..
    Thanks
    Andy

honda_saj likes this.
  4. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    No mickey mouse accountants like toyoda :hondababy:Like the Ford 1.0 engine Honda also now uses rubberised timing belts which is immersed in oil.

honda_saj and andy83 like this.
  5. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    @tomwillie this is good reference point to learn about what Honda have done to suppress soot formation on the injectors. Hopefully his put to bed your dooms day theory to bed.

andy83 likes this.
  6. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I did not receive notification of your post?
    My concern was not soot on the injectors but oil mist being baked onto inlet valves in direct injection engines.
    Is a similar Development Review available for the 1.5 Turbo engine?
    I hope the 1.5 Turbo engine is a chain cam engine as the 2.0 in the Type-R?

7. andy83 H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate find your answer here

8. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Many thanks, if oil changed as schedule & filter changed at same time then chain should last life of car.

9. i-DSI H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Belgium Aalst
    What i see in the engine 'comparison': they compare the 1.8 R18 engine with this new turbo engine. But they forget to say 10 years have past by since and the 1.8 and 2.0 did not change at all (the 1.8 got a very limited improvement in the 2011 Civic, that's all).
    Also: when looking at the power and torque curves, the 1.8 is still the boss when talking 'power'. And no tricks, not turbo, no oil belt, etc...

10. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Civic manual transmission cars with the 1.5 Turbo engine are proving more economic in real word driving than cars with the 1.0 Turbo engine. Salesman at local Honda dealer mentioned this without any prompting. I am getting a calculated +44mpg in winter from my manual 1.5 Turbo Prestige Civic. In the summer this increases to +45 MPG.

Civic's with CVT transmissions are nothing like as economic.

Manual Civic with 1.5 Tubo engine has same performance as 8th Generation 2.4EXi manual Accord which only achieved about 33mpg.
    Manual 1.5 Turbo: 182ps @ 5500rpm; 240Nm @ 1900-5500rpm; kerb weight Prestige 1334-1364kg; 0-62mph = 8.4sec but Autocar & other testers achieved 0.5 sec less with 200kg road testers on board: calculated average MPG = 44.
    Manual 2.4 NA: 201ps @ 7000rpm: 230Nm @ 4200rpm; kerb weight 2.4EXi 1484-1518kg; 0-62mph = 7.8sec; my 2.4EXi average calculated MPG = 33.
    Manual 1.0 Turbo: 129ps @ 5500rpm: 200Nm @ 2250 - 4500rpm: kerb weight SR 1275-1348kg; 0-62 =10.9sec: Honest John Real World MPG = 39.9
    Manual 1.8 NA: 142ps @ 6500rpm; 174Nm @ 4300rpm; kerb weight SR 1271-1341kg; 0-62mph = 9.4sec: my SR calculated MPG averaged 40.

If affordable the 1.5 Turbo with chain cam engine is the one to go for in the new Civic. The 1.0 Turbo will require a regular cam belt change from time to time. The 1.5 Turbo engine has the characteristics of a NA engine with excellent linear acceleration i.e. no sudden turbo surge. Have not driven 1.0 Turbo so cannot comment but from above figures it does seem to be too small an engine for the new Civic despite most road testers recommending it over the 1.5 Turbo engine.

Jury is still out as far as I am concerned regarding coking up of inlet valves in any Direct Injection Petrol engine without dual port fuel injection. Apparently the rev hang that many testers complain about in 1.5 Turbo is to limit sudden rev changes when changing gear as otherwise that increases pressure in the sump which will then drive oil fumes past the inlet valve to be burnt in the engine. By not rushing gear changes I do not find the rev hang a problem to drive round.

11. Maomao83 New Member Getting Started

Singapore Mao Singapore
    Great to see more information on the FK6-P10 engine details.
    Please post more details on these engines and maintenance DIY guide for these P10.
    Thanks

12. tniessensr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tom Gosport
    We have owned a P10 SR CVT for 3 months now and must say it is an absolute hoot to drive. in fact, though the official figures are average, it is far quicker in real world driving. There is a touch of Turbo lag and with the CVT hunting for lowest ratio can make it a bit jumpy when driving in town. A TCU software update may solve this in the future. Once on faster roads though, it is absolutely great and MPG is easily achieved if the one basic rule with CVT is followed, take your foot of the gas as soon as you have hit your cruising speed, they should be driven the same way as slush boxes. We get around 46 MPG with mixed driving and a full car.

My 1.5 is a blast and on my regular 205mile run to Belgium from the South Coast averages 54.3mpg, though that is mostly cruising with one person and a suitcase. Still it beats my old RE20 Accord's lifetime average of 40.2mpg over 25000miles.

Nonetheless, the P10 CVT for a family of 4 with luggage is more than adequate and far more drivable and economical than our old FR-V with 1.8 Auto.