Datum tow hook info with laws needed please

Discussion in 'Insurance & Breakdown Cover' started by Mafew, Tuesday 22nd Dec, 2009.

1. Mafew Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right guys got a fucking fag of a copper in gloucester whos pulled me twice about my tow hook now. he says if i dnt get rid of it hes going to make my car prohibited and it would then need to go in for a MOT.

so guys whats the laws with this.

I spoke to my MOT tester mate he said its just like a tow hook (i also mentioned this to the copper and he said it sticks out further) So hes now unsure of the risks i face when he comes round and sees it on my car later.

thanks guys

2. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

it sticks out no further than a body kit.. tell him that.

its exterior styling , and there are no laws governing that as far as i know

3. Callum. Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

They are pronowned to murder small children.

They are fine

4. BigJames Commercial Services Trader

Simply (and i stress - POLITELY) ask him to tell you why it is illegal? And ask (again - POLITELY) for his superior's contact number to discuss the matter with, as you are certain it is legal.

5. Stew. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is it a rear hook you have?

can't see that its a problem really as it sticks out no further than a towbar would?

You may never use it but it serves a purpose doesnt it

6. EK-Leo Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

big lorrys and vans have extended toe hooks which are much larger than your one hes just being an ass do some research and pwn him

7. Loony Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tow bars stick out just as much as tow hooks and are far more lethal if you ever bump into one.

8. Ross. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like a cunt. Just take it off, it'd look better without a tow hook anyway :Tongue:

9. izard-industries Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

just because its a modification he doesnt like it. Its the same as having a towing eye for a trailer!

10. .ku Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

same with canards

11. donzo Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

sounds like the problem could be sorted with a good sooking.

12. issie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mate, take it off and bash him across the head with it. Adleast then it would actually be illegal.

13. Edd Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bolt it somewhere better.

Like the bin.

14. tubbyandy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Canards are illegal! They present a danger to a pedestrian if yu were to run themover. Its the same as the rules for SVAs on kitcars, any sticky outy potentially dangerous things on the front are ilegal.

As for tow hook they aint but they should be!!

15. chelt_scene Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

just shoot him matty :Tongue:

16. TEGIWA Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I can't remember how far they stick out but im sure they come beyond the bumper. So technically they illegal due to the edges not being radius'd.

This is how it would play when SVA'ing a car anyway.

To be pulled up is rediculous and 99.99999% of MOT testers wouldn't have an issue

17. smithy13 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well a local MOT tester assured me that aslong as there are no jagged edges on the side of a vehicle that could catch clothing etc then its fine.

He even told me that you could have spikes pointing straight out of the front of the car and it would still pass.

Next time he pulls you. Ask him how long he has been an MOT testet and if he gives you any more jip ask him to get vosa to come and prove him wrong.

18. NathanialEG4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

He sounds like a right old "Harry High Pantz"

19. SaintGrimm Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Headbutt the fucker, steal his CS spray, douse him with that, boot the lights off the top of his car THEN politely ask him why it's illegal.

No idea what this would accomplish but I guarantee he won't do you for the tow hook anymore :Smile:

20. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I heard some poo lice have a problem with non original bodyparts on cars but i don't see why an extended tow hook would be a problem.weird!?! i have a a datum on the rear and a j's racing at ankle level on the front...never had a problem!