Feedback/Help Dash cam 24/7 Recording

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by DrSam, Wednesday 5th Dec, 2018.

1. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hello people,
    So I'm a bit extra at times so need to now pick everyone's brains.
    I'm looking to get a dashcam however me being me, I want to run it 24/7. Yes, some may say there is no need but why not?
    Now the question is how long can i run a average dash cam that runs at 5v 2amps, without having a dead battery in the morning lol?

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    You wouldn't want to put continuous drain source on your main battery, you'd want to install a second battery and a tank circuit to charge both batteries but protect the main battery from draining. The second battery will be a deep cycle battery which happily full drains.

But hypothetically speaking if your main battery is rated at 70Ah's then :-
    12v * 70Ah = 840WH
    5v * 2A =10W @80% efficiency=12W
    840WH/12W = 70H

So you could run the camera for about 70 hours on your main battery but as I said before you wouldn't want to deep cycle your main car battery.
    Hence the need for a second battery and a split charge/tank circuit setup.

DrSam likes this.
  3. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Right, okay. So lets say i just run it on the main battery.
    My car is driven nearly everyday, so the car will be parked for about 13 hours over night 9 hours at work and 2 hours drive.
    In 2 hours, how much of the battery is likely to be charged?

4. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

I'll start typing up a reply to explain the characteristics of a lead acid battery, watch this space :Smile:

legend-ary and DrSam like this.
  5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

I tried to look for a graph to show characteristics of a Lead Acid battery but didn't come across anything appropriate in the time that I spent looking for it.

So I'll try an explain in words, every type of battery has it's own charge and discharge characteristics.

The Lead Acid battery used in cars holds a lot of charge but its main purpose is to give a short sharp burst of a high amount of current (to start the engine).

What it's not really designed to do is provide a relatively low current supply over a long period of time, due to its characteristics.

So... whilst we worked out that a 12v 70AH battery stepped down to 5v@2A would last 70 hours we didn't take out account the battery characteristics but we did say that this type is not appropriate.

You also want to leave enough charge in the battery to still be able to crank the engine, so keeping this requirement in mind as well at the battery characteristics I would say you only have like 25% of the battery capacity available to you.

So 25% of the 70AH is 17.5 hours which at the load we calculation would be 17.5 hours.

In theory yes you would probably be OK running the camera overnight for 13 hours, assuming that the battery was at 100% charge to start with and assuming that assumption that 75% battery capacity is enough to still to start the car also assuming that battery is in good health and still giving a decent percentage of it's original quoted capacity.

The main thing to remember is that the lead acid battery in your car is pretty useless below 50% or 60% of it's charge. This is why leaving an interior light on overnight, leads to have a battery that can't start you car in the morning.

This is why for a long slow drain situation you need a deep cycle battery, with this you can use a much bigger percentage of the batteries capacity.

Does it now make sense know why you need a second battery?

legend-ary and DrSam like this.
  6. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

It certainly makes sense. Back to drawing board lol

7. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

I've got a tank circuit laying about, this will give you ability to charge a second battery but the drain on the second battery will not impact the main battery.

This is what I used when I was running my CarPC. So with this you just need to provide a second battery.

RogerH69 likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

@DrSam - if you got yourself a Blackvue camera for example, which is what I have, they are designed to run int what they call Park Mode which is exactly what you are looking for. If you install what is called a power magic pro, and there are other designs like this but they all do the same thing, it effectively keeps the camera recording constantly but it monitors your battery voltage constantly and once you hit a predefined limit, which you can set, the power magic pro automatically shuts the power down to whatever its connected to, so in your case, the dashcam/s, therefore preserving your battery so it never leaves you stranded.

https://www.blackvue.com/power-magic-pro/

9. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

I like the sounds of that.
    Initially my budget was £120ish but guess i have to up that.
    I will be researching into @SpeedyGee idea and @Nighthawk idea but going to wait till the sale before buying a camera now

10. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Personally, cameras within that price range are quite limited in what they can do. The blackvue cameras are more expensive, but I prefer their quality and their flexibility in being happy being turned on and off..

Road angel cameras are pretty good as well and cheaper than blackvue. And that power magic pro doesnt only work with Blackvues. It works with anything electrical that its plugged into

https://www.roadangelgroup.com/road-angel-halo-drive

11. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

I just want a good quality simple dashcam, not interested in wifi and app etc lol
    Basically a camera that records good quality (maybe i should wire up my DSLR :Tongue:).
    I have noticed with the more expensive dashcams, you get stuff like GPS, Wifi, mobile app etc, i don't really need all that.
    Also want a camera for the back too (I'm I asking for too much?)

12. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Blackvues are all about connectivity so will likely be paying for what you don't want to use. Road angels are simplier and they offer a joint front and rear recording too.

Im thinking Road Angels might be more up your street.

I like my Blackvue because when I drive into the garage, it automatically connects to my home server and downloads any events automatically

13. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Something I'll look into.
    I like the sounds of that but don't have a garage :Frown:
    I'm not sure about joint, i want joint/dual for easy installation however the quality of recoding drops.

14. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

I love my garage - I refused to buy a house without one in which you can actually work on a car. :Whistle:

15. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

I'm coming to yours to work on my car :Wink:.
    Luckily I have access to a indoor work space at work, so anything i need doing, i stay behind after work.

16. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

I bought a house so I could have a decent sized garage LOL

I actually nearly bought a house with a separate three port garage. On top of one of the garages was an office and the other two garages you could easily install a 2 post lift in one of them, unfortunately the house itself was shit and the property was in an area that could get flooded.

17. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

@SpeedyGee - yeah I like the size of your garage. Mine is a large single wider than normal but almost 7 metres deep, but yours is nicer. lol.

18. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

@SpeedyGee @Nighthawk you guys trying to make me jealous? Hmmmm, forget dashcam going to buy a house with a garage now :Tongue:

19. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

How long have I been telling you to do this?

20. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Hmmmm, maybe since 2015 lol