Damn Engine Management Light - Please help!!!

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by Afy, Tuesday 8th Dec, 2009.

1. Afy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My car has been still for a couple of days, I started her up, started first time and drove it a little. The engine management light has come on, it just stays on whilst im driving. If I turn the car off, then start it up again it goes off, then when i drive it for a few minutes it lights back up.

When the light is on I don't get any VTEC.

The car still drives fine, no dodgy idle ECT.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Its a 1.8c4/1.6a2 -poormans Type-R.

All help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 8th Dec, 2009
  2. carlsberg Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

get the CEL code,

its like saying my car doesnt work properly, whats wrong with it? hang on, i'll just whip out my magic honda ball and give it a rub to see what it says.....

3. Afy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats bollox for advice - thanks a lot. I wanted to avoid having to get the CEL code. There are Doctors out there that can find ilness without doing scans, just by looking at symthoms. I'm looking for a honda doctor. lol

Has anyone had this issue before?

4. Sirk Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Whats the point in people guessing what the problem could be?

Its piss easy to get the CEL and people will be able to give you much better advice on how to go about fixing it.

How long have you had engine fitted?

5. Afy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

its been fitted for over 2 years now dude.

Oh i give in - So how do you get the cell code?

6. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

ANY fault that chucks the CEL on is an easy fIx

IF you find out the code, if not you don't know WTF is happening.

My best guess is the VTEC pressure switch or solenoid is fucked or not earthed, if it's a code 21/22 then I'm right.

If your engine smokes then it's most likely 22 pressure switch.

If not then it's your solenoid, check all the wiring for continuity first then if that don't work, I've got a solenoid u can buy

7. Sirk Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557

8. Afy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Please don't scare me... it hope it aint the VTEC soloniod - VTEC pulls really stong, just doesnt work wen the CEL light is on. I'm thinking its the lamda sensor /o2 sensor.

9. carlsberg Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

tbh im 99% sure i know what the problem is, but thats because I've searched previously and managed to get the CEL code error. i even know what code your going to get

its hardly difficult to get the code yourself

10. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Don't be silly, get the code, if it is the VTEC solenoid it ain't a hard fix, I've got on here you can have for

11. Afy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lol you guys are tight - epecially Carlsberg! - I'm at work and cars at home. I'll have to have a look at it after work.

Carlsberg go on mate - if your 99% sure tell me what you think it might be.

12. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mate I'm trying to help, don't be scared of your car, at the end of the day, it's all just nuts and bolts, think of it as lots of small simple systems instead of one big complicated super system, then you can understand and fix them :Wink: Honda are very easy cars to work on so I expect you'll be okay, but ONLY if you don't worry. Power of attraction :Wink:

13. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You arent helping yourself

get an error code or fuck off

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 8th Dec, 2009
  14. carlsberg Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^^ if you can't be bothered to do a bit of background work, why should i be bothered to spoon feed you?

now if you came on here, saying damn I've had a look at the CEL code, i get this error but can't find any info on it does anyone know what it could be? then id be more inclined to help - it shows youve put a bit of effort in in the first instance

15. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

X3 we aren't fucking phsycick's we just know our cars :Wink:

16. Afy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like I said I can't get the CEL code as im at work and the cars at home.

Why the need to resort to profanity? Learn some manners? Learn some ettequete biatch!

Lol i aint scared of the car mate, i'm scared of the money i'm thinking its going to cost to fix it lol. i can doe the mechanical work myself, just finding bits is a pain beacuse I work 24/7. Thanks for the advice - bar the man that thinks pussy is the best engine in the world. Everyone know VTEC is better than pussy. lol

17. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I wouldn't try and fix this yourself if you think the parts will cost alot.

Take it to a garage no ones gunna help u now..

18. r883 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

:Whistle:

19. Afy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Awww am i in the naughty corner.... y are you guys bullying me? I havent done any thing wrong? I will get the cell code wen i get home.

There used to be a time when CL was a place were people shared experiences/knowledge and parts, it used to welcome nubies and joka's like me but now i know not anymore. :-(

That cl has died, now we have members putting fatwas on others saying "No one will help you now".

I have been made an outcast. Why? Just because I can't get the CEL code yet.

20. r883 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i think it was more your attitude to the help that was offered to you