Engine & Gearbox d15 with d16z6 head?

Discussion in 'Honda D-Series' started by [email protected], Saturday 28th Nov, 2009.

1. [email protected] Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just got my ek3 and thinking of putting a d16z6 head/inlet mani on it.

will this bolt straight on and away i go?

2. r883 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

it will all bolt up

but i think you would need a different map to run it

possibly you could just run a standard p28, would probally run abit rich though

Im sure some one will be along to confirm/dismiss this :Smile:

3. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i used a y8 head on a my ek3 many moons ago, chose the y8 head as its obd2 as is the ek3.

i also used the original y8 ECU to run it to saved hassle.

but the only reason i did this is i purchased a y8 with crank rumble of ebay for 80quid., so had to use my bottom end.

if that had not come up so cheap i would have just put a entire y8 in there as it will be alot easier for a full swap than it is a head swap.

plusthere is a fully y8 for sale in the fs section. only 200notes too

4. r883 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

did it run rich ?

Im thinking of buying another EK3 as a work horse and have a y8 head and ECU sitting here...hmmmm.............

5. [email protected] Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks for the reply :Smile: understand now. gona go for a y8

6. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

err i don't think so, never really noticed, but then i only had it for a few months before i sold it. ran nice though, certainly a big improvement over a a standard ek3. econo ftl

7. [email protected] Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

so just need a p28 ECU to run a d16z6 head with a d15 z6 block??

thanks , just interested again as a esi has turned up at the scrapyard :Tongue:

8. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

its not that simple as the z6 and p28 are obd1, your car is obd2, so a bit of rewiring for you todo on that swap

9. andycivicmarlin Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

could you not just use the bare head an use a obd2 dizzy an sensors? then use a p28 ECU with a wire going to the solenoid?

10. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

a p28 doesnt just plug into a obd2 loom though, he would need a conversion harness.

11. andycivicmarlin Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah but still would it work that way?

12. [email protected] Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Im confused to fuckkk.

What would i need to rewire exactly?

13. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

your car is obd2. The ECU is obd1. So firstly the plug on your loom will not fit the ECU. You'l need a conversion harness, or a ECU plug from a obd1 loom, some solder, tape, wiring diagrams for both cars and a fuckload of time. Then to the engine she. Not all plugs are the same between obd's. So you'll need plugs from a obd1 loom to solder onto your engine loom, so you can attach it to your engine.

14. Ringy_01 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

you need to wire up the VTEC selanoid aswell mate

15. [email protected] Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

16. Ringy_01 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

you will need part of the ek3 loom and the d16 loom to make the loom you need. your selling your ek3 anyway now lol so i wouldn't worry about it lol

17. DanF Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its so much easier to put a whole new engine in mate. B16 conversion can be had for around 550

18. [email protected] Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i know mate , just a local scrappy has a esi in and though maybe it worth the

19. r883 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

well just take all the wiring connectors with the head then

You would just need a conversion harness then

20. Rudedog Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

can this be done on a D15Z1??? VEi they are obd1 right? so would it work for me without the hassle? :Wink: