Engine & Gearbox D15 engine rebuild for turbo?

Discussion in 'Honda D-Series' started by Mafew, Thursday 17th Dec, 2009.

1. Mafew Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

im looking to do a full rebuild on my lsi engine so that it can run boost more safely. I have heard its the conrods that buckle first usually so im looking to upgrade them but what else should i do to make it safe?

thanks

2. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why not use a d16z6 instead of the d15? They can be had for pence, swapped easily, would make more power! What figures you aiming for? I'd imagine that it won't be a groundbraking build so why not stick to standard rods and pistons etc? Backyard did this and had silly power and mega fast quarter miles!

3. Mafew Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

well the issue is i already have an ECU thats been mapped to the kit im running. Its meant for a stock d15 but burns the rods to quick apparently. Hope im right in saying surely i won't need to get a remap for new rods will i? this engine crap confuses me lol

4. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Replacent rods won't req a map! Pistons I imagine will! Why not just run less boost on a stock bottom end? Or get the a esi ECU n lump n put that in?

5. Mafew Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

thought bout going down the b16 route to be fair but recently found out a lot more about my ECU. some things i never imagined being on it to be honest. so want to play with a turbo for a while.

will like d16 rods fit the lsi lump? i just need to upgrade them but unsure where to find them :Tongue:

thanks btw

6. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why do you NEED to?? Run safe boost for a stock engine. If you doing forged rods you may aswell go forged pistons n a full rebuild

7. Mafew Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i was told its best too. this is why im here i need info on this shit lol dnt know alot about turbo setups etc. i fine with all other mechanical crap but turbos have never caught my eye before mnow

8. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If your forging then forge it all, or if it were me I wouldn't bother at all!

Read about turbo D's. They make good power as standard and are strong!

9. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if your rods keep going then maybe the map thats on there is the problem so a remap would be in order anyway

10. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

think too much compression bends rods so too much boost. and a bad map ficks pistons and cylinder Walls. Don't quote me though

11. zombie86c Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if im honest mate theres not alot of point..you can turbo a d15..would i?..no. Reason being the rods are weak as shit..jonnay went through three of them i think on his. Get a d16z6 and put your kit on that..you have a t25 don't you? it may be alright on the d15 for 150bhp or something i guess..i take its a d15b7??

12. Jonnay Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mine broke 2 rods on the first build and 1 in the second 12 hours after fitting lol. 7psi first time round 5psi second time.. using your kit and ECU as you know :Tongue:

problem back then was nobody made rods for the b7, dunno if it's different now but back then you couldn't get any whatsoever. also, i heard b7 oil pumps aren't up to the job; which would explain why mine used to spin big end shells and block the oilway up the conrod :Frown:

13. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

there we have it!

upgrade dude, get a d16 and even if you stay standard with the internals it will be more fun and last longer

id rather be driving a more expensive to build car than constantly replacing engines lol

14. seanyreeves Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

theyre right they don't make upgraded rods for a d15 and 16 ones won't fit. turboing an lsi is a waste of time and money. just buy clinchys d16z6 and put your kit on that with a full tune. hes making 280 BHP on s stock bottom end which is plenty so all you have to do is put it straight in bolt the kit up and tune it, no need to upgrade anything.

15. FrAz Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

*cough* *cough* :Grin:

16. Naj_Ej Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

d16 is the best option mate, unless u wanna keep on buying d15 rods every so often.

17. Mafew Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

rigghhhtttoo :Frown: looks like im on the look out for an engine after xmas then :Tongue:

thanks for the info guys!

18. zombie86c Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

at the end of the day mate a d15 can still be boosted, with a good map you can get good results..but b16 power the at most id imagine. It just makes more sense to boost a stronger engine if your keeping it stock.

19. Naj_Ej Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ true, and u won't be disapointed with a boosted d16:Smile:

20. mike_b Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

when i had the kit the only reason i fuck a rod was the oil line to the turbo split and i lost all the oil on the motorway and next thing i no bang i had the kit on there for quite a bit of time and had no problems

mike