General CU2 whistle sound

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by uncleGravy, Friday 28th Dec, 2018.

1. uncleGravy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    I posted this on another forum many months ago and the general consensus was it's good airflow

But thought I'd post on here to get other opinions from others who have experience with these cars.

"Hi all,
    Not sure if this is an issue or simply just part of the car, when accelerating or just revving in neutral there's a very clear whistling sound, as if there's a turbo on the K24, Is this normal on the car?
    Just wondering since our CL7 K20 doesn't make any type of whistling/turbo like noises when accelerating.
    Cheers."

And here's a youtube link of the whistling noise

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Nighthawk has a CU2, does this sound normal to you @Nighthawk ?

Sounds like it's coming from the aux belt area.

uncleGravy likes this.
  3. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I hear more of a squeak, which also indicates AUX belt. Hard to tell from the video.
    Is it possible to also post a video from the engine bay with the car running also would be great if you can get someone to rev the car like you did.

uncleGravy likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Mine sounds pretty similiar to that from what I remember. Its dead quiet at idle though - can't even tell the car is running. Its never caused me to worry about it at all. I will be going out in her a bit later so I will double check, but it sounds similiar to mine. If it was doing it at idle as well then I would be a bit more concerned, but spinning up when you rev it like that isnt concerning to me. I will double check mine later though

uncleGravy likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    I was thinking that too but it is tricky to tell from these videos which is why suggested further investigation.

It may be worth just throwing a new Aux Belt at it as they don't cost too much anyway.

uncleGravy and DrSam like this.
  6. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Mine doesnt squeal or make that sound @uncleGravy, took her out yesterday for a drive and forgot to update this. So worth having a little look further into it - aux belt as already suggested.

uncleGravy likes this.
  7. uncleGravy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    Sorry for the late response.

When my brother has the time i'll get him to have a listen and check since he's a mechanic, I haven't bothered to get it checked as I thought it was normal as the operation of the car is normal, it pulls strongly through the gears besides the odd dip in power as i'll explain below.

Another question though, When I do accelerate hard I can sometimes hear a creaking sound coming from the engine bay and a very slight noticible dip in power, If anyone else drove it they wouldn't notice but i'm incredibly OCD and can notice the very small things, Anything to look out for such as a common hose or anything that can perish?

8. uncleGravy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    Just to bump this up for further opinions.

Last week I had my old man rev the car and I had a listen underneath the bonnet, we swapped and did the same.

We both think the sound is coming from the engine itself possibly the intake manifold, around that general area, we ran our ears near the belts, near the airbox, but each time we moved out ears moved to the engine itself it that's where it sounded the loudest, So i'm unsure what to make of it.

9. Matt at H-Tune Service Team H-Tune Staff

It may be worth checking if there's a pre-MAP (pre-Throttle Body) leak in the intake pipe from the airbox, or a crack in the airbox. It wouldn't necessarily lead to any issues with how the car runs, but high velocity air in a small crack could be responsible.

10. uncleGravy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Gravy South East
    Cheers for that, i'll have to have a rummage around to see if I can see anything.

Is it worth giving the TB a clean, especially on a 83k mile car?