Bulletins & Advisories CR-Z No Longer Available in the UK

Discussion in '1st Generation (2010)' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 12th Mar, 2014.

1. Nels Moderator Staff Team

"They should build Accords in Swindon, then we could get them more easily", is something that was said to me in a dealership recently. :nea:
    Maybe if all dealers had a new Accord in their showrooms, they would see why we love them built in Japan.

John Dickson likes this.
  2. John Dickson Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

More dealership sales twaddle. :Whistle:

They are obliged to sell so many Accords as part of their sales franchise conditions.

Similar nonsense I've had said directly to me was "I wish they built them in Swindon then we could do discounts" Utter nonsense. The sales discount is surely a decision made in the dealership with the sales person and the sales manager or is the "I've just got to run the deal by the boss and see if he can let me do any better" more nonsense? Even when the Accord was treat as one of the jewels in the crown they were very reluctant to say the least to do anything other than put the car out at MRRP. Yes you might get a free set of mats and mudflaps thrown in or a free valet but they were loath to do any more. Good in a way as it protects used values a bit better I suppose. Too much discounting brings a pile em high, sell em cheap ethos and this in turn kills used values.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I thought they did build the Accord in Swindon a few years back...5th or 6th generation??

4. ArcticFire Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Aye they did, 7th Generation onwards was Japan i believe but that's over a decades worth of building!

5. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Was Swindon building better quality back then - before all the cafuffle of short working hours and lay offs?

6. ArcticFire Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The 6th Generation ones we had were pretty bullet proof to be honest but cj will know more about this

7. C50 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

- - - Updated - - -
    Interesting reading these posts of a year & a half ago in light of 'Dieselgate'.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    So true , dieselgate reminds me of mass hypnotisation of the masses and the people who resented the diesel bandwagon were silenced. I have hated diesel since I could drive and will hate it till I die . But gladly this trance has come to end and thanks to VW its nearer.
    RIP weseal engine you are DEAD!

C50 likes this.
  9. ArcticFire Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I suppose there's a reason why the phrase is "petrol head". It just wouldn't sound right saying "diesel head"

FirstHonda, C50 and Ichiban like this.
  10. C50 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

... always remember a Polish bus driver saying, years ago, after getting another (petrol) car, "Diesel is for Vans, Trucks & Buses - not for cars" - and I agreed with him then.

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Resurrecting a very old thread... Mainly because Honda stopped selling this due to the diesels... and diesels are now the enemy as far as govts are concerned... and it amused me when I read some one say 'the love of diesels will go on for ever'.. and in just a few short years, diesels are now being blamed for all the pollution problems caused by govts blaming petrol cars for all the pollution and pushing people tog ET diesels.

So I'm wondering if this will make a comeback. For me a hybrid is the way forward. All electric vehicles will have that range issues for a very long time to come, and I need a car that can do a long journey without waiting at a service station for several hours to recharge.

I was thinking that me next car may well be a hybrid of some kind, sure that's not for a few years yet... But I kinda like the CR-Z looks but I like my MPG's to be higher than you can get with a petrol... and it's not worth having a diesel with a DPF because I don't do enough long journeys to keep one healthy enough... But I do enough long journeys that an electric is out of the question and fuel cells aren't there yet... Well, the infrastructure for both fuel cell and electric simply isn't available to be adequate. My town doesn't even have a charging point anywhere in town for electric cars, and half the town doesn't have a driveway, so can't have a home charger either, due to parking cars on the road and cables would cross pathways.

That leaves hybrids as the only sensible and practical option... and it simply proves what I've been saying for almost 20yrs. Small efficient engines charging batteries and powering electric cars... gives you 70+ MPG... and you can be all electric around town and only need the engine for longer journeys.

No range anxiety, and no need for a large fuel tank either... and you'd still be able to cover 400 miles with ease.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The future is electric and hybrid for sure. Battery tech is improving rapidly with many new different avenues and approaches being explored.