CR-V occasionally won’t rev in gear

Discussion in 'Honda R/L-Series' started by Qwerty123, Sunday 10th Feb, 2019.

1. Qwerty123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    My 2005 CR-V petrol auto (only 70,000 miles and full history) always starts first time from cold however sometimes if you select R or D the car won’t rev, so therefore won’t move. It will however rev in P. I have a generic code reader, no codes present. Any help ideas appreciated, thanks. Otherwise the car drives perfectly.

2. Qwerty123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

avatar_male_l.png&w=122&h=122&zc=1&fltr[]=usm|12|0.
    Qwerty123New MemberGetting Started

en. Rotherham

Hi
    My 2005 CR-V petrol auto (only 70,000 miles and full history) always starts first time from cold however sometimes when you select R or D the car won’t rev (if you try to rev it may cut out) so therefore won’t move. It will however rev in P. I have a generic code reader, no codes present. Any help ideas appreciated, thanks. Otherwise the car drives perfectly.​

3. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    I would check brake switch and shift release switch, did fault just appear or over time ?

4. Qwerty123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    The fault has developed and seems to be after a cold start but only occasionally. Is there a procedure for checking the switches, I presume the brake switch is behind the pedal but what about the shift release switch? Thanks

5. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Qwerty123 Yes brake switch is behind pedal, shift release switch will be next to selector somewhere :cockywhistle:

6. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    Have you tried putting it in 2 instead of drive when it does that and see if it does the same thing?

7. Qwerty123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    No I haven’t but I will try next time, I only tried D & R last time. I used it briefly today and it was ok also wondered about the throttle position sensor ?
    Do you know if the WiFi ELM327 type code reader/apps will read any hidden codes?

8. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nope you will need HDS and a him to read deep DTC codes

9. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    I have an Autel ML619 which can check parameters such as throttle position and engine load. There isn't a code I've found yet which it can't read but obviously it's not as good as dealer software. That's a good idea to check your throttle position sensor though. You can get cheaper diag machines that are better than the standard ELM327 but don't break the bank either. My old Autel was an MS509 I think and that read all engine parameters but could only check engine codes.

10. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

England Speedy Birmingham
    When you say "it won't rec in gear", do you mean you get no acceleration? Does it just crawl along with engine at idle revs and not pickup speed?

11. Qwerty123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi so if I get an ML619 it should read any hidden codes like errors with TPS, brake switches etc ? The main dealer charges £88 + vat which is more than buying the ML.

12. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

I'm not sure on the ML619, if you are going to be keeping you current Honda or having Hondas in the future, it maybe worth getting a cloned Honda HDS system off ebay.

Have you checked your ATF fluid? Is it at the correct level? Does it look in good nick (not a dark colour).

honda_saj likes this.
  13. Qwerty123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

According to the history the gearbox oil was changed at it’s last Honda Service 300 miles ago, however I will check the level.

honda_saj likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

Oh now that is interesting! Any mention of how much fluid was used for this?

If it was only 2 or 3 litres then they just did one drain and refill, which won't really have done a great deal. They either needed to do this drain and refill at least twice with a drive in between or have used a vacuum pump to suck as much fluid out as possible. As a fair amount of fluid stays in the system with just a single flush.

You didn't answer these questions @Qwerty123

15. Qwerty123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I will check what the history says re amount of fluid.
    When you select D then accelerate the engine appears not to rev enough to move the car forward, if you press the accelerator further the engine cuts out.

16. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

Ohh that's interesting!

That kind sounds like it hasn't fully engaged a gear properly at all.

Still worth checking fluid level first. I'll mull over and look into some diagrams this evening see what I can find. Remind me late in the evening if I haven't responded by then please.

17. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    SpeedyGee is right, I'm not sure if the ML619 is that in depth. I've always wondered about a HDS clone as I have 4 Hondas but I don't know if it was allowed to be discussed on here.

Also, even though the dealership has said it has been done I'd still check the colour. Coming from working in a main dealer myself (Peugeot, not Honda) some things get forgotten about and just ticked on the paperwork at the end. I'm not saying the dealership you used would do that but I have seen it done many times due to managers loading people up and very tight booked time. It's better to do the job properly and do it right than get your time in but service managers don't see it that way. Our times from the previous day were put up each day in the workshop controllers office so we could all be cheered or jeered by the service manager and see how much bonus people were making.

Long story short, sometimes mechanics don't do everything they say they've done.

honda_saj likes this.
  18. Qwerty123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That’s great thanks

19. Qwerty123 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The gearbox oil is nice and clean (red). With the engine stone cold the level is at the top of the first X (2.5 X’s between upper and lower levels) do just below 1/2 way. Is that enough oil when cold allowing for expansion?
    Thanks

20. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

Here's the correct process for checking the ATF fluid level :-

upload_2019-2-14_16-53-43.

honda_saj likes this.