Electrical & Lights CR.V OBD Port Solar Charger

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by phil-k, Friday 15th Mar, 2019 at 9:53pm.

1. phil-k Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom phil-k stoke on trent
    Hi I am about to buy a c2011/12 CR.V when I find the right one and reading about how some people have problems with the battery draining I was wondering if anyone uses one of those solar chargers that plug into the OBD Port.
    II work from home so it will only be used for short journeys regularly and thought one of these would just stop it draining even if it did not actually charge the battery.
    Thanks for any advice

2. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    NO need to keep you car on a trickle charger, unless you don't use it from month to month. I don't use mine every day and have not had any problems, just check your battery is in good condition, and has a good charge once every 6 months and forget about it.

3. phil-k Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply.
    Its not that it will be sitting around so much, except if we go away in our motorhome for a few weeks, I have jump leads if it goes flat then when they are parked in the same compound,, its just that it will have very short journeys with a few stops and starts for quite a few days on the run

4. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hello @phil-k Battery draining issue is normally with a fault HFT module which can be disconnected if there is a parasitic drain.
    Most people just remove it and some people remove, bake it and then install it back which fixes it.

Zebster likes this.
  5. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    My son carries a battery booster pack, he runs two old vehicles so it is not uncommon to have starting issues. He just connects it up and it provides a healthy dose of additional power. Make sure you get one big enough for your car, if you go this route, there is some very small and useless ones out there.
    Other option is a solar charger through your cigarette lighter but you need to check this would work as some cigarette lights are not live after a short delay and not linked to the battery.
    Not sure about using the OBD port, I can't help there.

6. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If there is a problem with the car then you'd need to assess the drain; how much and which circuit. Fairly easy to do if you have a multimeter and know how to use it.

If you couldn't reduce the drain then some sort of solar charger could theoretically offset the problem but, to make any significant contribution, it would have to be quite large and fitted to the outside of the roof in order to really provide enough charge, taking account of cloudy days, night time and the fact the UK is in a fairly northern location.

The diagnostics/OBD2 port is permanently live, unlike the power sockets. But I'd be worried about squirting much current into the car via that route. Best to connect straight onto the battery (using a suitably fused method).

Matt at H-Tune likes this.
  7. phil-k Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I might not have any problems but you never know, the main smaller solar panel that is available has OBD Port connecter and crocodile clips to connect straight to the battery, I know it won't give much of a charge but might just stop any drain from the alarm sensors etc if the car is left standing for a longish period
    The problem is when buying a car you don't know how long its been standing on the forcourt and the condition of the battery when you buy it, so I might have to buy a new one after a while anyway
    Thanks for all the suggestions, looking forward to getting my CR.V

Zebster likes this.