Introductions CR-V family workhorse

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by David W, Wednesday 9th Oct, 2019 at 1:56pm.

1. David W Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Warwick
    Hello, I bought a CVR registered in late 2013 to act as the family workhorse about a year ago. We wanted and upright car for carrying less able passengers that had 4WD, petrol engine and a manual gearbox. Not to many 4WD petrol manual SUV type vehicles to choose from. Ours is in EX spec with some additional options.

I am not sure if this is the best place to post questions or not. We have a problem with it at the moment. The tyre pressure warning came on a few months ago and I found one tyre was a bit low. Topped it up and eventually worked out how to initialise the system so the warning light went out. A couple of weeks later the same happened again. So I topped the tyre up and reset the warning light. after a month or 2 of doing that the warning light would no longer reset!

The tyre problem has been fixed now but I still can't get the warning to reset. Does anyone have a suggestion about what to do?

Also can anyone tell me if the tyre pressure warning works of a sensor in the valve or by using the ABS system?

Thanks,
    David

2. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Faults on the TPMS system on 4th Gens is a well known problem area, in fact it was the most reported fault on these cars in one of the Which? owner surveys. I had problems with the TPMS on both my 2014 and 2016 CR-V's. The 2016 problem was cured by a software update and there have been no further problems in the last 2.5 years.

In fact I fitted the Tyrepal system to my car and it gives me a real-time display of the pressure and temperature of each tyre, so checking tyre pressures is a thing of the past for me and in the (now) unlikely event the car system alarms, a quick glance at the Tyrepal screen tells me if I actually have a problem or just a false alarm.

Keith

3. David W Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Warwick
    Keith thanks for the information. Did you have to go to a Honda dealership for the software update?

4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Yes, I bought both cars new and the TPMS issue was sorted out under warranty soon after buying it. Given this is a known issue, assuming your car is out of warranty, it might be worth visiting a main dealer (e.g. the dealer you bought it from) and see what they say about the updates. They can tell from the car's computer what software version the TPMS has installed and if there is an update available.

Keith