Bulletins & Advisories CR-V Air Conditioning Compressor Failure

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Service News, Friday 2nd Dec, 2011.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    This is a warranty extension was announced by Honda UK on the 2nd of December 2011. This is for all Petrol CR-V chassis code RE5 the 2.0 litre petrol engine. The production models from 2007 till 2010 are affected by this problem.

What is the Symptom?
    CR-V owners of the affected Chassis code may hear of abnormal noises from the engine bay area, or that their Air Conditioning no longer functions. The abnormal noise can be attributed to the bearing within the Air Conditioning Compressor Pulley / Clutch Assembly and the loss of operation can be attributed to the Air Conditioning Compressor Field Coil.

What is the Cause of this issue?

After extensive and detailed analysis by Honda engineers, it was highlighted in how the assemblies bearing and the coil were engaging. This repetitive engagement caused slippage of the air conditioning compressor clutch. The clutch slipping is due to premature wear of the armature plate on the clutch set which is due to an increase in the clutch, engaging and disengaging more frequently.

The root cause of this increased compressor cycle is caused by a reduction in the surface area of the air conditioning system evaporator from 2007 model year CR-V onwards. This reduction in surface area has resulted in a decrease in thermal efficiency, causing the air conditioning compressor to function more frequently to achieve the required level of cooling.

As the air conditioning compressor clutch slips excessive heat is produced, this excess heat has 2 detrimental effects.

1. The retainer ring within the Clutch set bearing begins to melt; this causes roughness and binding within the bearing.

2. The Field Coil has an internal thermal fuse. When the Field Coil reaches 135°C the fuse blows, as this is not a resettable fuse the coil becomes inoperative.

The Honda Fix
    To increase the robustness of the air conditioning compressor clutch a friction liner has been added to the armature plate. This friction liner reduces the amount of slip that occurs each time the clutch engages and disengages.

A - Shows pre countermeasure clutch set.

B - Shows countermeasure clutch set with friction liner

CRV images.

This friction liner has been introduced on parts fitted at the factory to all new CR-V's, and also all service parts have also been changed to include the new friction liner.

According to Honda the majority of cases will not require replacement of the air conditioning compressor Assembly, these cases can be repaired by replacing either the Compressor Clutch Set, the Field Coil or on occasions,both.In a limited number of cases the air conditioning compressor will require replacement.

In order to ascertain which parts require replacement you must book your CR-V at the nearest Honda dealer for initial diagnosis.

The revised part number are

07 till 09 Model Year
    Compressor Comp 38810-RZV-G02
    Clutch Set Comp 38900-RZV-G02
    Coil Set, Field 38924-RZV-G01

10 Model Year
    Compressor Comp 38810-RZV-G03
    Clutch Set Comp 38900-RZV-G02
    Coil Set, Field 38924-RZV-G02

The warranty extension period is 3+3 years (total 6 years) 100,000 miles / 160,000 km limit, which ever comes first.

2. Byron Davies New Member Getting Started

Hi there,
    I came across this post in a search. I have had the compressor go and the dealer wants to charge me lots of money.

Would you happen to have the original TSB number or the NHTSA Item Number? I'd like to find a copy of the TSB so I can show it to the dealer.

Thanks a lot

3. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and Welcome to AOC just tell the dealer to look this up on Maris. Or print this thread out .

4. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Bryon,

Any updates?

5. skippymac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

south
    Hello the air compressor on my 2007 CR-V EX has just packed in. The car is just 3 months over its 5 year warranty. Typical! I called Honda UK and asked about the warranty mentioned here but she knew nothing about it? Does anyone know if there is an official page or link somewhere or if there is someone specific I need to speak to at Honda? Thanks!

6. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Hi there you will need to speak to Honda dealers who are the first port of call for this. If you are is out of warranty then it out of warranty but they could do something for you.

How sure are you that your car has the above issue which has affected your car.?.

7. skippymac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

south
    Hi thanks for the quick reply. The air con stopped blowing cold air (the canister is full however) and at the same time we started hearing a fairly loud rattle from the under the bonnet. I have booked it in for diagnosis though.
    If our car is 5 years old would it not be covered under the extended warranty?
    Thanks for your help.

8. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    If you look at the TSB as above "The warranty extension period is 3+3 years (total 6 years) 100,000 miles / 160,000 km limit, which ever comes first." Since your car is 2007 year model it is within what is the mileage on your car?

Only a Honda dealer can look into it and confirm if the above part is the offending part for the failure , If it is not then don't expect that to fall into warranty extension.

9. skippymac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

south
    Thanks for the response. The mileage is 47,000 miles so I am hoping that if it is the offending part, it will be covered by the extended warranty.
    The diagnostic is being done by a Honda dealer so hopefully they will be able to confirm.

10. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Well you are well within the TSB guidelines, get your car booked into the dealer at the earliest. I won't mention nothing of this TSB from the outset.

Let them diagnose and pinpoint the fault and see what they say.:Thumbup:

11. skippymac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

south
    Good advice thanks. I'll keep you posted!

12. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    NP buddy keep us posted a few of the other members never gave their feedback , so it will be beneficial for the others.

13. FreddyFel New Member Getting Started

Rugby
    Just wanted to say thanks for the info here.

Compressor began to fail while in France :Aghast: - managed to drive around for a further few days, then smelt smoke getting on the Eurotunnel. Nasty noises starting up again, and when we stopped for petrol in Folkestone, smoke from the bonnet!!! I could see it was coming from the compressor pulley but we decided to drive a far as we could until it stopped and get the AA.

We made it home :OTT:, and a few minutes after switching off heard a clunk. Looking at the engine saw the drivebelt had snapped - presumably melted through on the overheating pulley.

Phoned Honda, they collected it and rang back the next day...

The tech said it was the AC compressor gone, it would be replaced and all sorted UNDER WARRANTY!

You cannot imagine the relief - especially when he said it would have cost £1700! It was ready 2 days later.

Just wanted to share the happy news with anyone else who has this problem. Renewed my faith in Honda, that's for sure.

Thanks again for the info in this thread which gave me something to hang on to - although I didn't need it in the end.

Ichiban likes this.
  14. skippymac Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

south
    Hi just to let you know that I took the car into Honda who confirmed it was the air con compressor. I didn't even have to mention the TSB, the dealer had already printed it out and confirmed it would be covered by the extended warranty, plus I get a courtsey car and didn't need to pay the £45 fee for diagnosis. Delighted! Great service!
    Thanks for putting up the TSB info. If I hadn't have come across this forum, I wouldn't have gone to Honda and would have just taken it straight to my normal non-honda garage and probably paid over a grand to fix it so many many thanks!

Ichiban likes this.
  15. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for the update glad the information has come to good use,just proves Honda will always look after the customers when they see an issue.

16. peelap New Member Getting Started

Stumbled across this when I was researching aircon failure on my CR-V. I went into my dealer this morning and got told it was the clutch elements inside the unit and it would cost about £650 to fix. No mention of the warranty, so I said a 'friend' (thanks Skippymac) had had a similar problem and that it was covered - car same age and it went a couple of weeks ago. He asked what part had failed, and I said that I didn't know, but it sounded similar to mine and that she (sorry for any gender change) said it was expensive! He took a note and said he would investigate. in the time it took me to travel the 10 miles home and greet my dog, he had done this and rang me. Turns out it is covered, and am now waiting for Honda to authorise the repair. Thanks for all the help guys!!

Ichiban likes this.
  17. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Another happy CR-V owner thanks for letting us know :Hey:

18. Wishielad Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lanark
    I experienced a similar situation as that which afflicted FreddyFel. I had to summon AA and they took car to local (non-Honda) garage and I had to hire a replacement car to travel to and from work at cost of £185. The local garage called Phoenix Honda in Stirling who advised that this was a repair that would be covered under extended warranty. However, when I contacted Phoenix Honda in Glasgow, the person with whom I spoke gave me a load of tripe about this not being a warranty issue but down to goodwill of dealer. He then said that the car (a 2008 2.0 litre petrol CR-V bought from Phoenix Honda) would have to have been serviced at a Honda dealership for any goodwill claim to be considered. I found this astonishing, particularly as this was the fourth CR-V that I'd bought from Phoenix Honda and that, the last service apart, had been serviced by them. Anyway, I arranged for a recovery truck to take car from local garage to Phoenix Honda in Glasgow (at cost of a further £96). I followed truck to garage and arrived armed with IchibanAccord's info printed out from this site and info from AA on 2003 law making it illegal for manufacturers and dealers to insist that warranties are only honoured on cars serviced at dealerships. The next line I got was that the air conditioning fails for many reasons and that the problem may not be with parts covered by the extended (3 years+3) warranty for air conditioning on certain CR-Vs. I explained that the AA and two independent garages had identified the fault as being exactly that which is described in the IchibanAccord print-out. I left the car with Phoenix dealership to check and am now awaiting a response. Have telephoned Honda UK to express dissatisfaction at level of customer service and to ask why no recall was issued or why dealership, which calls me at least every month trying to sell me a new CR-V and from which I purchased this and three other cars, had failed to notify me of potential problem. I anticipate that this is going to turn into a lengthy saga involving threats of legal action. However, I smile when I remember AA and both local garages telling me Hondas never break down.Will keep the forum posted on progress.

19. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome to AOC , sorry to hear about your issues with your CR-V. Does your car defiantly have this aircon issus who has diagnosed this issue as being the root cause ? Additionally is it within the parameters of the extended warranty i.e mileage and years which ever comes first?

just for sanity I am quoting Honda website surrounding recalls, product updates and warranties. Recalls And Updates | Honda Owners | Cars | Honda (UK)

this is NOT a recall infact its an warranty extension, if you don't go into the main dealer for servicing you will only find this information from sources like this, so it not the fault of Honda.They have done the admirable thing to acknowledge the fault but they don't have to issue this as general release. They expect customers to come into the dealership they only have to do that by law for recalls.

Take a deep breath and speak to the service manager at the dealership and have a civil conversation you can tell them to look into it or you can politely ask Honda to intervene , the hot headed approach will get your short shrift.

20. Wishielad Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lanark
    Thanks for the advice. Two local garages and the AA identify the problem as being exactly as described in your original email. In fact when one of the local garages contacted the Phoenix Honda branch in Stirling about the problem, the staff at Phoenix Honda told them that it would be covered by the extended warranty. I take your point about the recall and I acknowledge that Honda are playing fair on this; although I have seen a different perspective on some American websites that have discussed this issue. With respect to servicing:apart from the last service, all of the servicing has been done at the Phoenix Honda dealership branch from which I purchased this and three previous CR-Vs. The colleague with whom I share an office had a similar problem with an extended warranty issue with her Mazda 5 but had to threaten legal action to resolve it. Fingers crossed that I won't have to go down that unpleasant road.