Electrical & Lights CR-V 3rd Generation EX Steering Wheel Controls - Wiring Diagram Request

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Gordon J, Tuesday 20th Aug, 2019.

1. Gordon J New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom GORDON J Clydebank
    Hi there,

I recently bought a 2008 UK Honda CR-V EX model which was fitted with the original Alpine BB717PO Sat Nav CD FM radio.
    I upgraded it to a new Android system but I'm having a nightmare getting the new unit to communicate with the steering wheel controls.
    The original system used a green coloured 22 pin connector known as connector B
    Pins 3, 12, 14, 16, 17 and 18 have no wires, the rest do.
    Pins 4 and 5 carry 5 volts.
    My multi-meter skills end there.
    Would any kind soul happen to possess a wiring diagram for connector B?
    If so, would they be willing to list a copy for sale on eBay?
    They'd be saving an old man a lot of heartache.
    Many thanks, Gordon.
    IMG_20190813_194532. 20190805_164204-1. IMG_20190813_194532. 20190805_164204-1. IMG_20190813_194751. ouaGZ. .

2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Hello mate have you looked to see if you can get harness adaptor as this might be your best way to go...
    Thanks
    Andy

3. Gordon J New Member Getting Started

Hi Andy, many thanks for such a quick reply. :Smile:
    The new unit is from a Chinese company called Joying.
    It is entirely touch screen so the steering wheel controls are essential.
    It is absolutely great, and can do everything an Android tablet does.(Just not connect to the steering controls)
    You can even watch YouTube on the move, not that a sensible driver would contemplate such a thing.

It came with a CR-V (non canbus) harness which had no corresponding connection.
    Joying then sent me a canbus harness just in case that was the problem but that has no steering wheel connection either.
    If I can send them a wiring diagram for connector B, they'll construct a harness especially for the EX CR-V.

I've been in touch with Alpine, who made the original unit. No luck.
    Tried Honda UK, got access to their MaRIS system, can't find what I need.
    Tried local Honda parts department, as soon as I used the word 'schematic' his eyes glazed over.
    Downloaded the Haynes equivalent repair and workshop book, no luck.
    At this point I think it might be easier to find Unicorn eggs.

Lol.

But if it's a First World problem, then it ain't really a problem.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Joying also pointed me towards this solution from an American Auto Electrician but I'm reluctant to start cutting and splicing wires on my new car at this point.
    I've only had it for a few months.

YouTube video

4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate i'll look further for you to see if can find more info, I wonder if @jd1959 @SpeedyGee might have a clue..
    thanks
    Andy

5. Gordon J New Member Getting Started

That would be perfect, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Ev

6. billycrv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

may be of help

Attached Files:

andy83 likes this.
  7. jd1959 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I wish I could help but I don't have a wiring diagram for that unit or connector. You could try some of the CR-V specific forums but other than that it would be a tracing wire job. Never fun.

8. MattBeardless Service Team H-Tune Staff

Honda's technical advise department may actually be able to help with pinouts due to the age of the vehicle.

9. billycrv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

what connection is on the back of the radio does it have key1 and key2 and ground

andy83 likes this.
  10. Gordon J New Member Getting Started

There is a Key, Key 2, Can in & Can out at the back of the new Android unit.

I've learned that pins 4 & 5 of connector B, the 22pin one which comes from the steering wheel carry about 4.75 volts.l with the ignition on.
    When the steering wheel buttons Vol up&down, Ch up&down, Mode, and the two top phone buttons are pressed the voltage in pin 4 increase by a small amount.
    - - - Updated - - -
    20190822_184142.
    - - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -
    The answer is probably staring me in the face.
    Yep, I really am this dumb.

Attached Files:

11. Gordon J New Member Getting Started

I'll try to find one thanks, or someone who can navigate the Honda MARIS system. The diagram may well be in there, I'm just not familiar enough with the system to locate it.

12. Gordon J New Member Getting Started

Hi Billy, this looks very very close, thanks a million. :Smile: :Smile: :Smile:
    I'll forward it to Joying, I think it's just what they're looking for.

andy83 likes this.
  13. billycrv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

when I installed my android head unit I used resistance range on multimeter to confirm buttons. does the head unit have a steering wheel control settings so you can program the buttons. did your standard head unit have navigation or not. for mine I just used key wire for volume controls, key2 for hands free controls both with a shared ground - if I get time and if needed I can look at what wires I used.

14. Gordon J New Member Getting Started

The Unit does have an app for programming the buttons, yep.
    The original head unit did indeed have navigation.
    Your method of resistance range sounds similar to the one described by Jason Firebird in his video, but he talks about a PAC unit being connected in order for it to work. At the minute those units cost about £100. :-/

15. billycrv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it does not need a pac unit.