HVAC Correct radiator won't fit my Prelude

Discussion in '4th Generation (1992-1996)' started by RogerH69, Friday 1st Dec, 2017.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I've removed the radiator and radiator hoses on my '95 Prelude 2.2i VTEC 4WS, and have a replacement radiator to fit. However, the radiator is not the same size as the existing one. The mounting locations for the fans do not all match, plus the existing one is longer and thinner and taller than the replacement one. A mate on the Lude Generation forums suggested I get the rad from a Rover 623, as this fits the Prelude (and he's done this), so I did and the one I received is exactly the same as the existing replacement radiator I already have.

I tried to fit both the new radiators, and they do not fit, as the bleeder screw at the bottom of the radiator is catching on the chassis. If I fit the radiator with the bleeder screw removed, then the radiator fits, but I can't get the bleeder screw in.

Also, if I was able to get the bleeder screw to make it past the chassis, I'd be unable to mount the fans, as they would then catch on the chassis.

Would anyone on here know what this radiator I have in my car actually is and how I can replace it ? Pics below may help explain.

You can see the bleeder screw can't make it past the chassis -
    20171201_174056.

This shows the top of the 2 radiators, showing fan mounting locations don't match -
    20171201_174926. 20171201_174937.

Bottom mounting locations for fans on NEW radiator -
    20171201_174958. 20171201_175001.

Bottom mounting locations for fans on OLD radiator -
    20171201_175008. 20171201_175011.

andy83 likes this.
  2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

So... it seems that the radiator in there is a JDM spec radiator, and I suspect it;s being used because the front of the car has been pushed back just a little, making the standard radiator not fit properly. That said, I'm going to fit my aftermarket equivalent of the standard radiator. with some OEM fans I got for it, and use it as is until I get a radiator that WILL fit, or this one falls out :Grin:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh, and someone kindly corrected me that that is the drain plug, and not the bleeder screw (I knew what it was for, just got my terminology mixed up)

3. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Many years :Smile:wheelchair:Smile: I had a replacement made from the existing radiator. The guys in the workshop just immersed the old one in a solder bath to remove the top and bottom sections and then, after cleaning them up, re-soldered in a new matrix. Fitted exactly and worked a dream.

Are there any of those places over your way? :Unknown:
    I think there should be. :nodding:

andy83 and RogerH69 like this.
  4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

No idea. Scuse the question, but what type of workshop / company would do this ?

5. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

It was a radiator repairer/re-builder, in an industrial estate not far from me.
    It was many years ago, but I cannot see why that type of business would not still be going.