comp viruses..MAC

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by zombie86c, Wednesday 9th Dec, 2009.

1. zombie86c Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi guys, i know this is completely random and not sure wether i have posted in the correct section but i have a quick question for you all..

basically I've got a mac mini - desktop comp and its been fine for ages but all of a sudden its throwing up all these random virus things saying its infected etc.. i know f a about comps and was wondering if any of you had any advice..any anti virus downloads that are free for mac etc..just abit worried as somethings going wrong :Frown: any help greatly appreciated

thanks tom

2. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

get yourself a copy of Avast Antivirus, best free antivirus to my knowledge, dead simple. Let it scan your computer, it'll pop up with any files it needs user input for (ie, qurantine, delete etc) and will delete those it deems neccessary.

Look in this thread,some links were posted up:

http://www.civiclife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60069&highlight=avast

should have mac versions IIRC

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 9th Dec, 2009
  3. clive Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I thought macs were pretty indestructable as far as virus's and such go

4. zombie86c Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

same as that mate thats why im concerned .. cheers 1964..where do i get this?? i don't even download etc thats why im so confused why these things are coming up.. cheers guys

5. blazein Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mac's aren't immune to viruses there are just less in circulation because of the huge, in comparison Windows user base.

The more popular Mac's get the more viruses you will see that target OSX.

6. zombie86c Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

thats what i have mate..what can i do about it??

7. blazein Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Give the free trial of MacScan a try and see if that helps.

http://macscan.securemac.com/

Do they only pop up when Safari or Firefox are open? and when the warning pops up do they prompt you to download software to check if you are infected or perform a 'free scan'?

If so it's probably just one of those trick JavaScript pop up sites to get Windows users to install a virus. In this case make sure your browser is blocking pop-ups, delete your temporary Internet files (cookies etc) and run the free scan just to be on the safe side.

I would be surprised if you had an actual malware infection to be honest, although they do exist there are very few in circulation for OS X at the moment, and to my limited knowledge of Mac's IIRC you have to authorize the installation of the Mac specific malware with an administrator password?

If you accidentaly downloaded a windows executable (.exe), I wouldn't worry.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 9th Dec, 2009
  8. Chinglish Peasant Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom George Lomdon
    First things first, have you changed your SSH password yet? If not I recommend that you do a bit of googling and do it. That is the vernability of macs.