coilovers or money better spent elsewhere?

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by kel eg, Friday 4th Dec, 2009.

1. kel eg Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have been looking at buying coilovers but i have been saving up for a conversion. Its slow progress so its either one or the other, being a bum student money is tight.

Is it worth buying the coilovers or carry on saving for a b18 from an mb6 but then would the car handle poor as its currently on OEM shocks and spax springs?

Confusing times.

By the way for those who don't know i own a Civic lsi hatch.

Many people are saying to get teg shocks so it won't dent the savings too much as the front brakes will need upgrading aswel.

Link to my build:

http://www.civiclife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44658

2. Cesare Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

your car sits quite nice now tbh, but as for handling only you know how the car feels.

either way i feel you'd more then likely get coilovers at some point or another anyway, so to get them before a b18 or not, only you can deside

3. kel eg Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It feels ok nothing special, its a tough decision!

I guess there is no rush though.

4. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Personally I'll go for a set of coilovers first. (as I know people will say I am bias which I probably am, I'll justify my reason for that)

If you get a good set of coilovers, you get a few thing for the car now, and more later.

You can lower your car so it looks better, it will handle better, and you will enjoy driving the care more... everyday.

You also now have "total" control of the suspension setup.

In the future, if you decide to do the engine swap.

A good set of coilovers can be easily adapted to counter the weight difference, so you you won't need to change the coilovers setup.

If you decide to change car instead of a swap, you can take the coilovers with you.

Especially for the Zeta-S where it can fit EG and EK, so basically it fit most cars if you decide to change.

Now, if you decide to do the engine swap first.

You will be driving it on the SPAX springs and OEM dampers which probably wouldn't inspire confidence with the added power.

You have lost the option to change car as you know you will loose money on the car and you cannot swap the engine back out.

So that is why I say go for coilovers first as it makes the car more enjoyable throughout the project, and it also leave you alot more "Options" for what you want to do with the car in the future.

That is my 2p. :Grin:

P.S. I like that fuel filler cap.. :cool:

kelscarandnanandgrandad038.

5. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if you get coilovers now, you are car will drive better, and feel better, or be the same atleast.

then upgraade the brakes, then the engine.

if you drop all that engine in first. then yes it will be quick in a straight line, but it will handle like a dog, and won't stop. lsi brakes are poooo.

coilovers first it makes sense. but so does the teg set up. cheaper and made for a 1800cc engine

6. Jonnay Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i got a b18c4 with stock shocks and lowering springs, its ok, but as mines a vti shell i've got the arbs and 262s as stock (soon changing to mb6 setup)

coils are a lot nicer to live with though, i do miss mine, will be on the look out for a new set after xmas

7. dart Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

hands down i'd got for '96 spec DC2 shocks and keep your spax springs. that will be a stable basis. then think about DC2 ARB's. not even upto decent coilover monies.

i went all out and went for buddy club n+ spec on my eg6, r888's/ pooradas/ t1r's all were a jolly treat and i kept up fine with by bud m1n1's JDM DC2, except the long straights but hey. Before i look at an engine swap, i'd rather fork out for better brakes. My setup before was kyb shocks on gmax springs, his esi had a better ride and great balance just on jmd 96 spec shocks! just the ride height was abit higher, bit more body roll but its such a good upgrade i couldn't believe it. Sorted with your spax springs.

i can appreciate why you want to make a jump upto a b18, my lsi wasnt slow but damn it needed more guts. I'd easily compramise and find a good b16 + mini/ exhaust.

End of the day i think i could use a well set up EG with a d series far far better than a poor setup with a b series. There's alot of potential in the EG chasis. There are a huge amount of fast b roads around my way, i love them. It sounds like youve got enough to find a balanced medium. Good luck with the build, liking it so far!

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 5th Dec, 2009
  8. stone119 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would go for Integra Type-R set up , great handling and everyday ride .

9. dozzy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Without question, coilovers are the best

10. kel eg Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some good info there! I f i do go for the coilovers then meisters it will be.

I just need to decide now.:Angry: