Engine & Gearbox Clutch replacement

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Mark11, Wednesday 6th Mar, 2019.

1. Mark11 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Mark chesterfield
    I have a 2005 CDti. Clutch is slipping going to do it in the next week or so.
    After researching I've been looking at the LUK Self adjusting clutch - i know you need a tool for this (think i found one on ebay)
    What other clucthes are other people putting on that arent self adjusting - so i wouldn't need the tool.
    I've done loads of clutches in my time but never a self adjusting one, so its new to me.

also, does anyone know what the tolerance should be in the flywheel. i can't hear it rattling so don't know if its gone or not.

any tips and advice lol

Not sure if this is the tool i need
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38PC-SAC...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

2. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

That looks just like an alignment kit. You also need a pre-tensioner

Have you read this thread?

honda_saj and Mark11 like this.
  3. Mark11 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Im wondering if you can do it without the tool. forward the video a bit youll see how he does it without the tool.

4. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
  5. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

6 - 36mm of play.

From the Honda workshop manual...

Flywheel and Pilot Bearing Inspection

1.Inspect the ring gear teeth for wear and damage.
    2.Inspect the clutch disc mating surface on the flywheel for wear, cracks, and burning.
    3.Measure the flywheel (A) runout using a dial indicator (B) through at least two full turns with the engine installed. Push against the flywheel each time you turn it to take up the crankshaft thrust washer clearance. If the runout is not within the standard, replace the flywheel, and recheck the runout. Resurfacing the flywheel is not recommended.

Standard (New):0.05-0.45 mm (0.002-0.018 in.)
    4.Turn the inner race of the pilot bearing with your finger. The pilot bearing should turn smoothly and quietly. Check that the pilot bearing outer race fits tightly in the flywheel. If the race does not turn smoothly, quietly, or fits tightly in the flywheel, replace the pilot bearing.

Mark11 likes this.
  6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    don't always believe you tube and internet

7. Mark11 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

8. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    I wouldn't risk it personally, I'd pretention as the manufacturer's recommendation not some random YouTuber after some hits.

honda_saj likes this.