Engine & Gearbox Clutch judder fix

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Shugster, Tuesday 23rd Oct, 2018.

1. Shugster Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Shugster Glasgow
    Hi guy's sorry not been on for a while, I was going to wait untill job had been completed before posting but car has been in for this fix at local Honda dealer to be fixed under warranty, when it first went in I had the judder in first gear only, got it back still had same problem and now have the problem in reverse which it didn't do before, and cruise control not working now, so basically went in with one problem got it back with three. At least it seems Honda now accept there is a fault with this now and are trying to put it right, will keep you posted when it goes back in for the next fix.

FR-V and 155695 like this.
  2. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've been experiencing judder first thing in the morning now that the temperature has dropped. Extra revs tends to help me overcome it though and once the car is warm, the issue disappears until my next cold start. Odd.

Good luck with the fix. It will be interesting to hear what Honda's position is.

3. Shugster Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Merk1981 That's the same problem I have with the car, had my car in for a service in March and asked them about it they just said it was condensation, but if I wanted they would strip out the gearbox and clutch but if they found nothing wrong I would be paying for the cost of labour. I then went to another Honda dealer expecting the same reply but was surprised when the guy said, Clutch judder yes Honda have a fix for that now as long as we can prove the fault then it's up to Honda to give us the go ahead to fix it under warranty so at no cost to me sorted, now just waiting for the call to take it back in, as the first fix did not work.

tomwillie likes this.
  4. Shugster Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Car is booked in for the second fix next week, apparently it didn't work the first time because they were using the wrong tool to line up the splines and now have a different one which I have been assured works, as they had to use this on another car with the dreaded CLUTCH JUDDER and the customer is now happy with how it drives, so fingers crossed it will be sorted this time.

Merk1981 likes this.
  5. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the update. I think I'll take mine in. It's still under its approved used warranty.

6. Shugster Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NO MORE CLUTCH JUDDER Well looks like this problem has been finally fixed car now drives as it should no more trying to anticipate whether or not it's going to happen or wondering if your driving style is at fault, gear change is smooth no judder in first gear just smooth and even driving thank fck. Must admit the guy I was dealing with at Honda UK was really helpful as I was having some issues with the dealer I went to, they offered to give me a courtesy car but wanted me to cover the cost of insurance, I pointed out that the car was being fixed as a warranty fault so why should I be paying for anything, but they wouldn't budge so contacted Honda UK they covered the cost of insurance etc. Just glad it's all done n dusted and back to driving the car as it should be.

Merk1981 likes this.
  7. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great news. What was the fix in the end?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    See Shugsters' previous post, they redid the job with the correct alignment tool this time.

9. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I'm with Merc1981 on this. It's probably just me being thick but I remain unclear as to exactly what they did to the car to resolve the problem. Put another way, what components had to be lined up with the right tool.

Keith

Merk1981 likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    On the diesels that is a pressure plate pretension tool, that needs to be used before torquing the bolts on the clutch plate.

I didn't know that there was one version of the pretension tool though.

My gut feeling is that first time around they totally forgot to pretension the pressure plate altogether but didn't want to admit this.

155695 likes this.
  11. Shugster Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

To be honest guys I don't know what they did or didn't do, but it's certainly much better than it was, strange thing is though I had another Honda dealership say that there is only one tool that is used for this job and he couldn't understand why they said they had used the wrong one??? And what Speedy Gee has said makes sense as it seems it may have been a bit of a rush job first time. But at least they are taking note now and not saying it's just condensation, according to the place I had it in they removed the gearbox and clutch stripped it down took photos then Honda decide whether or not it gets fixed, so basically they fitted a new clutch again second time round.

155695 and Merk1981 like this.