General Civic Type-R GT FK8 1010 miles review

Discussion in '10th Generation (2016)' started by Tim B, Saturday 25th Nov, 2017.

1. Tim B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tim Buxton
    The Car
    this is the GT version, so it comes with pretty much every thing you will need, plus more. The standard items listed are;

Safety

Driver i-SRS airbag (dual stage inflation)
    Passenger side airbag with cut-off switch
    Side curtain airbags front and rear
    Front brake 350mm vented and drilled disc
    Rear brake 305mm solid disc
    ABS
    EBD
    Brake assist (BA)
    Vehicle stability assist (VSA)
    Hill start assist (HSA)
    Front seat belts (in Red) with 2 stage emergency locking retractor
    ISOFix points Rear Seats
    Deflations warning system
    Collision mitigating braking system
    Forward collision warning
    Lane keeping assist
    Lane departure warning
    Road departure mitigation
    Intelligent speed limiter
    Intelligent Adaptive Cruise control (i-ACC)
    Traffic sign recognition system
    Blind spot information incl. Cross traffic monitor

Security
    Immobiliser system
    Security alarm
    Selectable door unlock
    Smart entry and start
    Tonneau cover

Interior Trim
    Type-R sports seats red suede style fabric
    Type-R leather sport steering wheel
    Interior inlays and air outlets with red trim
    Serial number plaques (No 8007)
    Alloy shift knob
    Alloy pedals
    Black roof lining (too dark)

Function and technology
    3 way selectable drive mode (comfort, Sport and +R)
    Rev match system
    Shift indicator light
    Electric power steering with variable ratio (works with drive mode)
    Electronic parking brake with automatic brake hold
    Idle stop
    Adaptive damper system with sensor

Comfort and Convenience
    Climate control dual auto A/C
    Rain sensing auto wipers
    Rear wiper
    Dusk sensing auto lights
    Auto dim rear view mirror
    Parking sensors (front and rear)
    Electric windows (front and rear)
    Front one touch electric windows
    Rear one touch electric windows
    Tilt and telescopic steering wheel
    Remote retractable door mirrors (key fob operated)
    Sunvisor vanity mirror with illumination
    Accessory socket Front and Rear
    Boot cargo hook x 4
    Driver seat manual adjustment
    Centre consul with sliding arm rest and compartment
    Rear seat 60/40 folding split with fixed headrest
    Driver information interface colour display
    Fuel filler - capless

Interior lights
    Red dashboard illumination
    Map light (front)
    Boot light
    Glove box light
    Courtesy light front and rear

Audio and Communication
    Honda CONNECT with Garmin Navigation 7" touchscreen DAB radio, Apple CarPlay, Android internet browsing
    Wireless charging
    2 x USB jack
    High power audio 11 speakers
    Steering wheel remote audio controls
    Blue tooth
    Rear parking camera

Exterior
    Shark fin antenna
    Body coloured door handles
    Interior and exterior carbon panel effects
    Type-R rear wing
    Centre triple exhaust
    Black grill
    Type-R emblem front and rear
    Privacy Glass

Exterior Lights
    LED headlights
    High beam support system
    LED front fogs
    High mount brake light
    Headlight on/off auto timer (coming home /leaving home function)

Wheels
    20"Piano Black alloy wheels
    tyres 245 x 30 x ZR20
    Tyre repair kit

Day to day driving to commute.

To enter the car just approach and as you open the door handle to car unlocks, magic. Get in the car and press the start button, the dash lights up and revs over left to right and carries out various checks. Next the car always starts in Sport mode which is the middle selection, I always drop it into Comfort mode. Next hold the brake pedal and release the electronic handbrake. off we go.
    The immediate impression is that this is large comfortable car, very compliant suspension which is fine on even the worse of potholed B roads. you can tell immediately that this is a car with a stiff chassis. The driving position is spot on and you seat nice and low, all controls in easy reach and adjustable as required. The gearbox is a little baulky in first an second, something to mention to the dealers when it goes back for the fitment of the Illumination pack (only extra ordered). Drive off on A roads uptown 50 mph this is an easy car to drive, steering inputs spot on, gear change smooth and engine pulls. At 50% effort this is like driving an everyday car but still has the Honda feel. The ending sounds great and does not get too loud or boomy. Hit the dual carriage way and within seconds you will be over the limit, the car revs freely and great response, to be honest i am not missing my K20 as this engine gearbox combined is addictive.
    The handling is simple sensational, no torque steer, you can feel the front Honda double knuckle suspension working. In the wet the car inspires confidence with massive grip form the Conti sport Contact 6's.
    Drive home in the dark and you have this TFT interactive dashboard, with the LED headlights on Auto the headlights will be on interactive, this means they with on High sam auto an doff when approaching cars come. they actually work really well. These are the best headlights I have had on a Honda including the HID's on previous models. LED fog lights just add to the improvements.
    On the motorway I had the full LKAS system working with auto-cruise and lane assist, its a wiled feeling the car steering itself and slowing and speeding up behind other cars. It actually works really well.
    The car is only using 97+ octane but will take 95 according to the filler cap inside, its averaging 30mpg which is up and down the gears and hills of Derbyshire.

Now the real spoiler is the Infotainment system, its OK but not the easiest to follow and certainly not great to use while driving, although the display will come onto the drivings dashboard including Sat Nav (which is pretty good).
    Sounds system is good and lots of choices and settings.

Brakes , mega stopping power no complaints in this department

Room, this is a big practical car with a nice flat loading area.

Quality is not bad but this is no Audi/BMW and don't forget this is a £35k car.

Complaints, not much really, the tech is a bit overkill but it dose work. perhaps one biggie is the lack of menu selection on the 3 driving modes as they cannot be mixed. so Comfort has a lighter steering ratio an softer dampers and softer engine map, Spot ups all these and +R is up again. only tried the +R once but it is very noticeable and the car goes mental....so you cannot set a soft damper and Sport engine map and this is a shame as this would work well on British B roads.

Overal, this is one very complete car and really really happy with it. no wonder it has one pretty much all the Car magazine reviews.

Any question happy to answer

Attached Files:

Mugen_fd2, andy83, Paul and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Lovely car, glad your pleased with it :Thumbup:

Tim B likes this.
  3. Paul Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks and reads fantastic!

Tim B likes this.
  4. andy83 Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Mate sure seems a great review you seem vey happy with her mate :Thumbup::Hey:...

Tim B likes this.
  5. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Your a lucky guy :Smile:
    Honda has definitely kept the magic alive with this Type-R.

Tim B and andy83 like this.
  6. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I agree about infotainment system which will be same as in my manual Civic 1.5 Turbo Prestige. So to minimise having to fiddle with it before setting off I put radio on low volume, mainly just to get traffic news, & set AC to auto.
    Reports of some owners of both FK2 & FK8 Type-R's having crunching noise when changing from first to second & also being locked out of 5th gear. Honda have not yet sorted this problem.
    Rev hang is also a problem in manual 10th Generation Civics. As I change gear/drive in a leisurely fashion I find on upward changes by taking foot off throttle the revs drop just as I am letting clutch in & reapplying throttle so no problem. On down changes I find easing the throttle & then synchronising revs when letting in the clutch gives smooth changes. These techniques are no good for high speed gear changes.

Tim B likes this.
  7. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    On my 1.5 Turbo Civic Prestige, which probably has same LED Headlights & Driving/Fog Lights as Type-R FK8, I find that main beam is OK but very poor on dipped beam & turning on Driving/Fog Lights does not help as light is very close to front of car. Both dipped & main beam are very good in my wife's 4th Generation CR-V. Dealer claims they have set dipped beams on Civic as high as legally permitted but still not good. One of the vehicle safety testing organisations in USA rated Civic headlights poor. How do you find dipped beam performance on your FK8?

8. Tim B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dipped beam is good on the UK version, much better than previous Hondas

9. andy83 Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate seems your one very happy honda owner of an fk8 :Smile:

Tim B likes this.
  10. Tim B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yep still very happy

andy83 likes this.