Civic/5th Gen Civic sir2 track build

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by PonnyJ, Thursday 31st Dec, 2009.

1. PonnyJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

First off i'll appologise if the order of things on here seems a bit random as its taken from my thread on another forum

Hi everyone, thought it about time to put this up on here, my pride and joy, and recently turned winter project.

i've had the car since june and loved evey minute of driving it. :Smile:

heres how it looked when i got it

DSC_0138.

i had it dyno'd a few weeks after getting it and it had 180.4bhp at the fly :Smile:

after a couple of weeks the fat 5's got ditched for some super turismo's

Image550.

then got it booked in for a custom exhaust

IMG_0597.

IMG_0598.

something a bit different to the usual jap can, 2.5inch from manifold back, top job from the lads who did it, sounds amazing in VTEC

everything was coming along nicely until . . . .

a couple of weeks ago as i was changing the disc and pads on the front i discovered BOTH calipers were seized (on a sunday afternoon :cuss: ) so the car had to come off the road and i switched my insurance to the spare car (ford puma) so i could get to work on the monday morning

after this ordeal i decided to take this as a sign and took the Civic off the road on a more long term basis so i could sort out all the little faults and have it running perfect, i then decided to take it one step further and begin to track prep it instead (while keeping the possibility of having it road legal open)

and the work began

BEFORE

IMG_1089.

DURING

IMG_1098.

and ALMOST DONE

IMG_1102.

still more to come out this weekend when i decide how harcore im going with the weight saving 8)

quick money shot lol

IMG_1107.

DC intake, homemade filter heatshield, lots more bits to come

and the spare set of wheels, MO's in 15"

IMG_1115.

lighter than the oz's so these will be the track wheels :Grin:

thats it so far, got plans for a nice N/A build just need to get bits together, suspension and camber bits on the cards aswell and some nice light buckets and a decent set of harnesses

will update as and when things happen

decided to freshen interior up today so set about cleaning and masking everything off, literally took hours :shock:

IMG_1116.

IMG_1117.

stuck a bit of waxoil on the inside where there was a little bit of rust starting to come through (temporary measure as this will be dealt with a bit better at a later date)

IMG_1120.

then climbed in and started painting

IMG_1122.

IMG_1125.

IMG_1127.

IMG_1128.

IMG_1129.

IMG_1130.

almost done priming and the camera battery went dead :x

start on colour tomorrow :Grin:

gimp shot :Grin:

IMG_1123.

just had a chance to weigh everthing thats come out the back of the car so far

37kg of plastic bits and seats :shock:

front seats weigh 15kg each, still the dash, soundproofing, dorcards etc to come out aswell

got a bit of painting done in the back today aswell :Smile:

DSC_0040.

DSC_0041.

DSC_0042.

DSC_0045.

contemplating doing the floor in black :?

also got a VTEC controller off a mate :Grin: with a shift light function :twisted:

so now looking for wiring diagrams so i can sort it out

right just a little update, not much has been done on the car recently i've just been trying to get some bits and pieces together

heres what i've got so far :Grin:

EK9 cams

SDC10043.

SDC10048.

skunk2 Lca's

SDC10050.

supertech springs + retainers

SDC10040.

tegiwa 37mm bonnet spacers

SDC10034.

SDC10036.

SDC10038.

and a JDM tight yo sticker :lol:

SDC10042.

cams will hopefully be in in the next few weeks if i get enough time one weekend 8)

once again a small update,

Civic has been in the dark all alone for a while now :Frown:

SDC10123.

things are going slowly while i try to source parts to enable me to do the large chunk of the work i have planned all in one go, head rebuild kit, coilovers, seats, harnesses and some other little bits and bobs

anyway i got some MG ZS 180 calipers and discs (282mm) :Grin:

so with the help of a friend seeing as im sort of out of action due to a shoulder injury we set about changing them

brakes to come off (brand new discs and pads with less than 20miles on bt seized calipers :x )

SDC10133.

unfortunately i didnt get many pics during the swap even tho i did have the camera in my pocket all along

ZS calipers cleaned and ready for a lick of paint

SDC10134.

and hey presto they're done :Smile:

SDC10138.

making sure my other wheels (15's) have plenty of clearance

SDC10140.

and with the OZ's back on

SDC10141.

something else i've been doin aswell, quick mockup of diy heat shield

SDC10142.

SDC10143.

well thats all for now, hopefully crack on over the xmas hols as im now off work till the 4th of jan :Grin:

2. d15power Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

looks quite cool, I've got a track based sir 2 as well, one thing tho, will those skunk lca's fit as sir's have the eyelet type suspension as apposed to the forks like the uk spec and uk spec lcas look like that

3. morf Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

try to get the best suspension setup you can for your money .uprate the ARB's and swap all the bushes. don't lower the car too much and a good set of tyres and your set.

you have a good base though

4. Cannit Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just what i was thinking?! ^^^

Track SIR2 all the way though :Smile:

5. vtecivic123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looking good so far, Keep us posted

6. Beau23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DeCent mate apart from the bonnet lifters

7. PonnyJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

its gonna be running BC coilovers so i'll just be buying uk spec kit as the only difference is the fork or eye mount on the back

8. jdmlookeg6 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

what VTEC controller you got bud?

9. d15power Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ah fair do's mate :Smile:

10. PonnyJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VTEC controller is just one i got off a mate, can't remember the name of the brand off the top of my head but i looked it up when i got it and they retail at $150 :O and i got it for nowt

11. PonnyJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

well after a long long time of faffing around trying to sort the problems with the Civic i was close to giving up

the Civic sat like this for weeks :Frown:

DSC_0177.

but then i decided to try a different approach just to get the stupid thing started

so i wired up a switch for the fuel pump after i'd put a new walbro pump in hoping that would solve the problem

so the car now starts

and i got the brakes bled so its stops and goes :Smile:

so after i'd got that sorted i got on finishing the painting in the back, all nice and red and clean now

SDC10270.

also got some stuff to start tidying the wiring up aswell

SDC10263.

SDC10272.

SDC10262.

thats just to show what it looks like a bit better

also got bored so did this

SDC10259.

took all this wiring out that was for the fogs that wernt on the car anymore

SDC10265.

and a temp fix for my cracked bumper

SDC10266.

might leave it like that as the car is mainly going to be used for weekends and track

trying to crack on today to get the seats and stuff that i need for the MOT done as my other car is now off the road aswell so i have no transport till one of them is fixed

12. jdm_coupe Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

nice effort bud,

good to see the sound deading gone, its the worse stuff every made

13. PonnyJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yeah its a nightmare

still got to attack the front but getting it ready for the MOT is the priority at the moment

14. PonnyJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

once again its been a while since anything got done with the Civic so heres another update

managed to pick up an almost new full size tegiwa ally rad from a mate :Grin:

SDC10592.

resting in place

SDC10697.

Brackets moved

SDC10694.

rocker shaved

and of course cos of the radiator i can get rid of the bonnet lifters, as i've been told it won't pass an MOT with them on anyway, and i'm thinking of trying to source a red bonnet to go down more of the sleeper look

15. jscivic Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

thats exhaust wrap on your intake mate that stuff keeps heat in btw :Wink:

16. PonnyJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the intake pipe used to actually get too hot to touch after a good thrash, i've had the filter off after a thrash after i put that stuff on so i could stick my hand in the pipe and it was stone cold.

17. jdm-eg5 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

looking good mate, gonna be keeping an eye on this, mine gonna be a street/track car too but i only got a D16 at mo.

18. NeilVtec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Look forward to more on this!

19. PonnyJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

got bored at work last week and designed a couple of stickers :Smile:

just got them cut

sticker2.

sticker1.

gonna crack on with the car this weekend so will be updating and getting more pics :Grin:

20. ratDX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

looks like it is coming along well!