Civic/5th Gen Civic esi 2.3L turbo conversion

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by oadamo, Sunday 6th Dec, 2009.

1. oadamo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi all iam new on here but thought i would post up my little project that I've got going on. i own a Civic esi on a j plate and iam planing to put a saab 2.3L turbo engine in. once the engines in and all the mounts are sorted the engine bay, engine, car / wheels are going to be sprayed, I've got some lotus elise ap racing brake calipers for the front ill have to make some brackets to fit them. i only started the project this week heres what happend.

adam

this is the engine i bought the whole car so i have everything i need, it needs a good clean

DSCF0027.

pic of my Civic engine bay

DSCF0028-1.

test fit to see how it fits

DSCF0031.

and I've started making the brackets

DSCF0033.

2. Porker New Member Getting Started

Most random conversion.

Ever. Why the Saab 2.3 engine???

3. 689r Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

lolz. i can't see the point in this tbh. why did you pick this engine? how much power will it make?

4. oadamo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i own a garage and this car come into my hands for very little. the engine makes 250hp and there good for 500 on standard piston and rods. i couldn't say no lol.

adam

5. NathanH Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Well,welcome to cl.

That has got to be one of the strangest choice of conversions ever lol. Fair play for trying it though,I can imagine its going to be a bit of a sod to do,but will look forward to your updates.

How much does that saab engine weigh?

6. pattys civic ep3 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

oh my! i hope that works

7. Civic Coupe EJ2 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

wow....thats pretty crazy......will love to see the end result......keep us updated on the progress.....

8. Cesare Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

intresting.... i shall keep an eye on this

9. tbukhtaw Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

a wierd sort of conversion but interesting, shall keep an eye on this :Wink:

10. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

welcome, if its anything it definitely aint concours :Tongue: sounds like itll be pretty fast tho, should make alot of torque too.

11. Beau23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

quality mate.. My mate put a saab 2.3 turbo in his vaux astra van and it was rapid! Made it into total vaux magazine.. These are strong engines and can achieve 500bhp on standard internals.. My mate that done the astra conver said it was pretty straight forward swap apart from the electric's ECU etc cause you have to mate it so the ignition is next to the hand brake.. Wish ya well with the project tho mate

12. pickles2010 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

13. NathanH Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think it wouldn't be too hard to get it into a vaux,as they are quite similar and use alot of the same parts,seeing as they are based on the vectra. But this out of this world in originality. I really hope it works,would be fun,as long as that lump isnt too heavy and creates epic amounts of understeer an such...

14. Beau23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

don't think its that much heavier than a h22.. Yeah the astra and saab have alot of similarities with gearbox's mounts shafts etc

15. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

that may be to do with vauxall's ownership of saab :Tongue:

interesting conversion, like to see how this one turns out

al9955

16. chris Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Honda :Smile:

Civic :Smile:

Saab :Messed:

2.3L Turbo :O

I will be watching this for sure.

17. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it was litterally drop in on saab mounts! the lad who done it in his van said it was quite straight forward as saab and wanky vauxhalls use very similar parts!

good luck with the build mate

18. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

and don't saab own subaru? which means vauxhall owns subaru lol if there wasnt already enough reason not to buy an impreza

19. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

reason not to buy a impreza??

20. oadamo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks guys i no its not pretty looking at the moment lol, but iam just trying to get it in and working for now then later i will spray the engine bay/car and paint the engine. the reason behind the conversion is i had the Civic as a run around but it always drives like it was on rails but just never had the power i wanted so when i got the saab it didnt take long to make my mind up what to do :Grin:

adam