General Civic EP2 driveshaft leak

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by Bilbo2803, Saturday 13th Apr, 2019.

1. Bilbo2803 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Billy Tranent
    Hey peeps, I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with the O/S driveshaft leaking between the shaft and the gearbox(more like a weep so not pouring out)?, I’ve had the seal replaced twice just incase they messed it up the first time and the driveshaft snap ring which should keep it in the g/box but it’s still weeping , any advice or pointers would be appreciated before I try a shaft

Thank
    Billy

2. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Billy...
    Just to confirm you say driveshaft leaking... it’s it CV grease leaking or gearbox oil you see please?

3. Bilbo2803 New Member Getting Started

Hi sorry it’s the gearbox oil that’s weeping from where the shaft meets the gearbox

4. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ok that’s the side that has the half shaft. I would check for any bearing play in the half shaft bearing between the 2 driveshafts. Also check the driveshaft has been fully knocked into place into the gearbox.

honda_saj likes this.
  5. Bilbo2803 New Member Getting Started

Hi, I’ll give that a go this weekend and fingers crossed the shafts not in right

6. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

7. harVTEC Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can you upload a picture showing how the driveshaft oil seal is seated? I imagine it's not installed correctly.

As for the half shaft, the EP2 doesn't use a half shaft / counter shaft. Both side driveshafts are one piece, I'd say the section labelled '18' in the above schematic is for the EP3

honda_saj likes this.
  8. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    just my 2p worth :Smile: check gearbox mount does not have a lot of play in there may be moving shaft out of place

9. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Sorry, I didn’t realise the ep2 is a single shaft both sides. Surprised at that....

Although it will be easier to deal with