Electrical & Lights Cigarette lighter and phone charger

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by ec5779, Friday 11th Jan, 2019.

1. ec5779 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom ec5779 London
    Has anyone got any experience as to which in-car phone chargers are likely to work best in the cigarette lighter socket?

I have two in-car phone chargers, a rubbish one and a better one.
    The rubbish one I paid not much more than £1 for on Amazon, so can't expect much from it. The USB connector is dodgy and this has never worked properly.
    The good one is an Anker PowerDrive 2 and has worked great in my previous car but doesn't seem to work in the cigarette socket.

When I plug in the rubbish phone charger into the cigarette lighter socket, the red light does come on, so I take that as reasonable proof that the cigarette lighter socket is working.

But when I put the Anker PowerDrive charger into the cigarette lighter socket, nothing. The light doesn't come on and needless to say the phone doesn't charge. I've tried putting the PowerDrive 2 into my previous car again since and it worked fine. I then tried putting it in the accessory power socket in the boot and surprisingly, it did work there.

Any advice please? Ideally if there's a simple, safe and effective tweak that I could do to the Anker charger to get it to work in the front 12V/cigarette lighter socket I'd prefer that. I suspect it might be to do with the length of the metal pin that protrudes into the socket, but that's a bit of a guess. Otherwise any other in-car USB charger I could buy that is known to work in that socket?

Thanks in advance

2. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Try putting the charger in with more pressure. I have the same issue. Some chargers don't fit in Honda's nicely. The one i got pops out or doesn't come on if it don't push it in properly.

The other alternative would be to buy a universal Cigarette lighter socket and replace the original one or buy another charger

Zebster likes this.
  3. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Or a charging adaptor that goes into the OBD port? That stays permanently live, which can be useful.

I also struggled with some power plugs not engaging properly with the lighter socket.

DrSam likes this.
  4. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Never heard of that one before

5. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

On a slightly different note - you know you can get USB ports which you can wire directly into the car electrics which you can then flush install - gives a nice neat way of creating a charging port.

Lewis at H-Tune and DrSam like this.
  6. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Was looking to do that but my phones don't charge with them. Amps are too less on them

7. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Depends which ones you get - I got one which powered two USB dashcams for a few years in the wifes EP2

8. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Can you remember the make and model? Would look into it if its good also does it have fast charge capabilities?

9. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

10. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

11. ec5779 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wish I had the knowledge and experience to be comfortable installing something like this :Wassat:.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Glad to hear it's not just me.

I think this one fits in fine the problem. Comparing it to the other one that does work, I think the metal pin that protrudes from the centre isn't long enough.

I wondered if there's any easy/safe way to make that longer e.g. equivalent of a blob of blue-tack to bridge the gap but with a material that conducts (solder?) I'm really inexperienced with DIY though don't even have a soldering iron let a lone know how to use it!

Universal cigarette lighter socket? Interesting idea but I'm not sure I'd want to mess around with the car too much. On the other hand if there are too many accessories that don't work then it might prove sensible.

12. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Actually thinking about it our FR-V is also quite picky about chargers and not all of them work in it but if I plug them in to one of my others they work fine.

13. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

@ec5779 Have you got a picture of your charger, i'm interested to see which one it is.

This is the one I got on the FR-V, Roidmi 2s, double as a Bluetooth FM transmitter.

14. ec5779 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

DrSam likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

I've got one that is similar in design to the Anker which didn't work either.

16. ec5779 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The other one which is rubbish but does receive power is this one: Gizmo Mill
    Unfortunately though the USB socket seems dodgy so it only works if you press downwards on the USB connector with some pressure, which is obviously totally impractical whilst driving.

17. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

I actually bought one of these for the FR-V as the cig lighter socket is rubbish but ended up using it for a project inside the house instead :Whistle:

honda_saj likes this.
  18. ec5779 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

In case it's of any use to anyone - as I mentioned in my original post, the accessory socket in the boot seems to be better and this charger did work there, but that's not particularly convenient.

19. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

To be fair, if you feel comfortable with basics electronics, its not hard. Its literally wire up the positive to a 12v supply, and earth the black wire either against the body or in line with another earth and thats it. It then takes any fluctuating current, and converts it into a stable 5v supply which is what phone chargers convert to anyway. And then you can leave your cigarette lighter port free for other things.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Co...epid=1864527792&hash=item25fd140985:rk:1:pf:0

That one puts out 3amps, which is what fast chargers use.

20. Edwinowl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I actually bought the upgraded Nulaxy wireless in car Bluetooth FM transmitter which also acts as a charger, works great, £18 from e bay

DrSam and Nighthawk like this.