General Check your spare!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by mw88, Sunday 14th Apr, 2019 at 8:21pm.

1. mw88 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you haven't used your spare tyre in a while, it might be worth double checking you can actually get it out if needed!

One of my front tyres was flat this morning, got a screw in a tyre that's only been on a few months! Thought it would be a 5 minute job to chuck the spare on.

Nope! Not too sure if the spare was wet the last time I used it a few years ago, but there's a bit of rust in the spare wheel well so the screw that's used to secure it wouldn't budge.

Had to take a slightly descructive route to remove and break the 2 plastic pieces.
    IMG_0887.JPG
    IMG_0886.JPG

Zebster likes this.
  2. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looking at the state of that, something tells me you have had a leak in the boot and water has pooled in your spare wheel well.

I have a funny feeling that there might be a slight leak in mine, probably around the tail lights ( gaskets are prone to leaking on Honda's apparently) However someone has removed the bungs in the wheel well, so if it leaks, the water just goes out there. I also made a point the last time I pulled my spare out to inflate it, to use copper grease on the securing screw so it doesn't seize in place.

Hopefully a new one will be easily found from a breakers yard for pence, or a used one on ebay for a couple of quid.

honda_saj and mw88 like this.
  3. mw88 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It may be from one of the few times I've needed the spare - I remember it absolutely pissing down when trying to change the wheel many years ago!

Will pick up some WD40 or some decent penetrating fluid at some point and see if I can get what's left of it out!

Harvey likes this.
  4. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

WD40 is always handy to have. especially for that sort of thing. I put a smidgeon of copper grease on the threads of mine, so it won't get stuck, but copper grease is messy.

5. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    More punctures in wet weather because the water acts as a lubricant for whatever decides to penetrate your tyres!