Guides Changing HID aka. Xenon light bulbs to FR-V

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by huurre, Thursday 30th Nov, 2017.

1. huurre Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Ville VANTAA
    Hi!
    Short notes from my "bulb changing project". Left Xenon headlight was flashing or flickering from time to time. To verify that problem really was light bulb it self and nothing else, I changed bulbs from left to right (and vise versa).
    Flickering effect changed to other headlight, so I was okay to proceed with bulb purchase.

I did some googling, and made some conclusions:
    - cheap non-brand bulbs might last only few months
    - cheap non-brand bulbs might be different color (different K-value)
    - cheap brand bulbs might be pirate versions
    - it's wise to change both bulbs at the same time, because old bulbs are much dimmer than new ones.
    - FR-V uses D2S type bulbs

I bought OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER +70% XENON-D2S 12V/35W bulbs (120 € or 105 GBP per pair). Changing bulbs was quite easy. Some problems though...

1. Remove cap behind headlight. Mine was really tight and I used screwdriver head to turn cap enough.
    2. Release spring style clamp on both (left & right) sides of bulb. Opening side is up and pivot point is down.
    3. Open springs all the way down, ballast (small box at the end of the bulb terminal) is on the way, but it is possible to get spring clamps over it
    4. Pull the bulb out carefully (there is cable hock somewhere, if cable is released from there you can bet few centimeters more clearance)
    5. Turn lightbulb 1/4 and remove bulb.
    6. Insert new bulb. It goes only one way, and It's really hard to get it right at the first time.
    7. When changing bulb on the side that occupies battery, it might be a good idea to remove fusebox clamp (10 mm socket) for more room.
    8. Put back cover or cap back and turn it tight.
    9. Turn car on and switch lights on. Let there be light!

andy83 and s168 like this.
  2. s168 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Do you have photos of the before and after, as well as the installation steps? That would be helpful.

3. ES07FAN! Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Raj London
    Sorry for the bump - I was reading this and trying to work out how someone had HID lights on the FR-V. It looks like the LHD "Executive" version had these.

How crazy (or (il)legal) would it be to try and use the Japanese version parts on a UK FR-V? EG:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c741735081 (this is from another Honda model)
    https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q297401678 (this is from the Edix)

I know next to nothing about car wiring, but would look to understand the principle of how easy/hard it is to do first.

Thanks!

4. ES07FAN! Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Raj London
    Can't edit, but looks like it won't work. Self levelling was done via sensors in the shock absorbers, and looks like they had washers on them as well.

Will stick to Nighbreakers or Racing Vision bulbs!

5. Vukovi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Vuko Napoli
    Sensors in the shock absorbers? Does this mean I need to only use the honda OEM shock absorbers? Or is this sensor mounted on the shock absorber?

6. Vukovi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Vuko Napoli
    Hi, I have the LHD Executive, and I believe you are correct that I have different headlights. Do you happen to know where I can find the part number for the housing assembly? Mine are old, and one is cracked. Everything I see on ebay is not the same as mine....

7. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @Vukovi
    Self levelling system. If it is similar to my precious car there are two sensors connected to the suspension one front and one rear. Basically the sensor mounted on the chassis and a drop link to the suspension, the one on the front was the brains of the system and would signal the headlights to the correct level.

Vukovi likes this.
  8. Vukovi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Vuko Napoli
    Wow, any specifics on how I can check this? I get the feeling my headlights are a little droopy... No one seems to notice If I drive with my high beams on, and the low beam seem to hit really close out in front of the bumper...

9. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @Vukovi
    As my previous car, the lights should do a little dance (ie move up and down) when first turned on then settle at the correct alignment.

10. Sandy52 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    If your planned new lights are ever MOT tested you will need the required self leveling system working properly, otherwise it will be an automatic fail. The high power front lights now available must have a working leveling system so as not to blind other motorists.