Service & Maintenance Catch up service

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Rhodrich, Monday 7th Jan, 2019.

1. Rhodrich Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rhodri Thames Ditton
    Hello,

I've recently purchased a 2008 1.8EX FR-V. It's got 50,000 miles on the clock, and full service history (although not full Honda service history). It's in great condition, and looks like it's been well looked after. However, I'd like to give it a 'catch up' service just to make sure I know everything's been done, including:
    Oil + filter change
    Air filter
    Cabin filter
    Brake + clutch fluid change (not sure how important it is to use genuine Honda DOT 4 for this rather than the excellent TRW stuff I've always used for everything else.)
    Spark plugs (they should be fine given the mileage, but the car is more than 10 years old now, so I'd like to change them to be sure. I've bought genuine NGK Laser Iridium ones)
    Fuel filter (again, it should be fine, but the recommendation is to replace it every 7 years regardless of mileage, and I very much doubt that's been done.)
    Greasing door, bonnet and tailgate hinges
    I've always serviced my own cars, and have access to workshop facilities if need be.

Two questions - is there anything else that I should be thinking about, apart from a general inspection of everything once it's up on the ramp (especially brakes), and secondly, is there a guide anywhere to the correct procedure for removing the centre rear seat, so that I can get access to the fuel filter?

Many thanks

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi @Rhodrich,

Congrats on the FR-V purchase they are great cars.

Yes any DOT 4 spec fluid will be fine.

Good shout doing both of those.

:Thumbup:
    I also clean window rubber, lube them, as well as window guides, clean the weather seal on top of the door (inside one and outside one too).

I'll look this up for you this evening.

Whilst you are doing fluids, worth doing a full coolant drain and refill. Check the state of the hose clips on the coolant system they can become rusted, especially the very bottom one on the radiator.

Check for camber wear on the rear wheels, the FRVs are known for this.

The other thing I like to do when I get a car is swap all the internal lighting bulbs with LED ones, makes a massive difference especially in the FR-V, where the standard lighting does not light up enough of the cabin.

If I think of more I'll post up later.

3. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
  4. Rhodrich Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee Good call on the coolant too, and thanks for the other pointers. I can't say I've ever lubed window rubbers before, but I guess it makes sense to ensure the long term good health of the electric windows. What lubricant do you recommend?

@DrSam Done! I'll add some pictures to the club garage once I get some daylight to take them in....

5. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Welcome @Rhodrich - a man after my own heart. I too service everything when I get a new (to me) car.

Couple of things I personally would change would be the engine coolant as well as the gearbox oil. Not saying they need to be done, but thats something which I always change regardless, on top of the list you have already mentioned. If you do decide to change these - use genuine stuff. The OEM coolant is dirt cheap, it doesnt really make sense to get anything else and Honda gearboxes are known to be rather fussy about what gearbox fluid they use.

Underneath - check drop links and front compliance bushes. Hondas enjoy eating those. Might be worth just checking for any misting of the shocks whilst you are underneath, as well as the ball joints (not saying they are common issues, because they arent, but whilst you are underneath, you may as well check them.) Other than that - mechanically, not much goes wrong

For brake/clutch fluid - you don't have to use the Honda stuff - I never have. I use Castrol React DOT 4 - in all of my vehicle, Honda or otherwise. Has a higher boiling point so keeps that solid brake pedal feel for longer

6. Rhodrich Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee Did you manage to find the details on rear seat removal?

As per my garage log, I've now done the easy stuff - spark plugs, air filter, and cabin filter. I'll do the oil once I get the drain plug washer through. Need to double check I've got the correct drain plug key though.

Have bought a vacuum type brake bleeding tool for the fluid change, as it looks like my trusty Gunson Eezibleed won't work with the type of brake fluid reservoir the car has, and I rarely have the luxury of a 'helper' who can just pump the brake pedal. The fluid is looking decidedly straw coloured, so it's well overdue a change. I'm assuming there's nothing special I need to know - just start with the offside rear, then nearside rear, then offside front then nearside front, and keep pumping fluid through until its all the fresh stuff? Not a job I like doing at all!

I'm also going to change the drive belt shortly, as that's probably overdue a change too.

Will get there in the end. All good fun.

7. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Yes, nothing too fancy about changing brake fluid on your FR-V. Traditional methods will work fine - no need to plug any computers in to open up the VSA module etc. The one thing I found with mine however, was that I activated the ABS after an intial flush through as this activates the VSA module and flushes any bubbles out of there too. Means the job takes twice as long, but thats just me, and not necessary.

I don't have a service manual for the FR-V so I can't help on that side of things other than saying that they are normally pretty simple to work out how to remove. @SpeedyGee will respond later I am sure

Glad to hear that you are taking good care of her. I love working on a new (to me) car

DrSam likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Here you go @Rhodrich :-

upload_2019-1-14_20-27-36.

Release fuel pressure
    upload_2019-1-14_20-49-39.

upload_2019-1-14_20-52-55.
    upload_2019-1-14_20-54-2.

Last edited: Monday 14th Jan, 2019
    Rhodrich, Nighthawk and DrSam like this.
  9. Rhodrich Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you @SpeedyGee !

One more question though - It says that you need to 'raise' the rear center seat. I guess therefore that it doesn't actually need to be removed? Perhaps there's just a handle that I can pull somewhere that will just raise it out of the way?

10. MichaelG Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Gman London
    One more thing I would look at, though it might not need doing, is the power steering fluid. I just did mine and it immediately stopped the whining noise from the power steering, though mine was at 95k when I did it. If you take a drinking straw and draw some fluid out and spread it on a white piece of paper you'll be able to see if it needs attention. It is a pretty much clear liquid when new. Mine was deep black like old engine oil when I replaced it. If its a clear, maybe light brown colour, you probably are fine and can leave it for some time more. If you are changing it check the guides on the site. Its quite easy to do.

11. Konstantine Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Kon Stockport
    Wow that is a great walk through. Is that available online?