car written off?

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by nafanh, Sunday 13th Dec, 2009.

  1. nafanh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    Basically the otherday, a lorry decided to reverse into the front of my car.

    leaving a deep scraatch along my bumper and grill. and totally trashing my bonnet.... at a least i will need a new bonnet, bumper and grill filled and sanded, then a spray job.

    My car is insured at a value of
  2. kahn_v Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    buy the car back off them if they write it off.
  3. Smiley Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    if its cheaper to buy another car than fix it they will write it off.

    what car is it, year cond etc.

    chances are that even if its insured as being worth 1000, your insurance company will only class it as being around 600. so will write it off and offer you that.

    they always try to ripp people off, its good for business
  4. RichieB Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

    Just be easyer to repair urself tbh
  5. TAM 11M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    if you can, get some pictures up to show the extent of the damage, might help people give a better opinion into what to do next,

    do you want the car back and fix it? or ok with buying a new one?
  6. nafanh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    well, the car is a 1996 ej9. 82,000

    the car is prety much mint condition, part from like 1 scratch on the door and lil praking dents :


    sorry for the dirty car :Tongue:
  7. RichieB Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

    Get it fixed up yourself, plenty of people on here with bonnets for around
  8. nafanh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    yeaaah, but then im paying for shit i didnt doo? i can't even afford to drive at the moment so I've cancelled my insurance for a month...

    I've still gotta pay for the damage my mate caused to the back of my car ><

    a spray job and filling everything will cost at least
  9. clive Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    Can't you make the guy who reversed into you pay for the front, then have your mate who done the damage pay for the back?
  10. nafanh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    Thats what i want to do. But the lorry company the driver worked for wants to do it through there insurance :

    I still need to sort out the back with my mate, but my main worry is the front at the moment .
  11. stevti Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

    surely there can't be any damage to the truck for them to warrant going through the insurance?? id try going to them with your insurance documents (to prove that you are actually insured) and ask them if it would be possible to settle it between yourselves for the sake of your insurance premium shooting up. its worth a try wouldn't you say?
  12. Gav_ek4 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

    if that goes through insurance its a write off mate,my ej9 was mint with 72k 1 owner full history and 1 previous owner,

    got hit on the rear and it was written off for 1 taillight and a 4mm scratch on back bumper,

    on the plus side i asked to buy it back and they just told me to dispose of it as i saw fit as it was worthless to them

    re motd and vic checked it,stuck a rear light on and away it went for another 2 years :Smile:
  13. nafanh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    there was no damage at all to the truck. but because it was the lorry drivers fault im claiming on his insurance, if his company write my car off then yeah i would buy it back from them.

    I've spoken to the lorry drivers contractor and now im speaking to there insurance company tonight to explain what happened and the damage. so hopefully all goes well. Also the lorry company wants to do it through the insurance, instead of just paying for the damage caused. I've got a mate who would do a really cheap deal on spraying my car and fixing the damage, so i might get a quote from them and ask the insurance company if i can use him?

    This whole thing is such a kick in the dick! :Angry: