can't get bottom pulley OFF :(

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by tobyfisher1990, Monday 9th Nov, 2009.

1. tobyfisher1990 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hiya im looking for some advice on how i can get the bottom pulley off my Civic esi. I've tried everything i can think off air gun, electric snap on gun, heating it up and hanging off it with a bar and scaffold bar. can't think of anything else :Frown: the main problem i think im having is stopping the pulley from moving as i can't seem to find any holes on the pulley to lock it off, so I've had to have it in gear and stand on the breaks.

please help :Smile:

cheers toby

2. Tom1989 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

big breaker bar and socket, 8ft scaffold bar, get someone to hold the bar and hitt it with a hammer. Put some heat into the pulley first, not the bolt (will make the pulley expand off the bolt)

The sudden shock from the hammer normally cracks if off. Has worked with all the stubborn bolts I've had to deal with.

3. greasemonkey Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

there is a small hole by the gearbox, where you can see the flywheel. jam the flywheel and try to crack the bolt.. it works on my one and on my mates B16.. if not try his option(ALLTIME-Industries).. hope you get it off mate:Wink:

4. tobyfisher1990 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cheers boys will have a go in the morning. don't understand y Honda need to do them so tight lol.

cheers again will let you no if it budges

5. boro_andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On nissan engines i know a lot of people use a chain to wrap round the pulley and then crack it off with a breaker bar or air gun.

Not sure if its some sort of special chain or just a normal piece of chain...

6. ek_civic_brum Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

dude you'll notice on the crank pulley there is a hexagonal hole for a special tool to lock off the crank while you undo the bolt. you MAY be able to get if off without but I've always failed using basic hand tools and breaker bars without using the locking tool.

7. tobyfisher1990 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks all for you help :Smile:

managed to get in undone today made my own little tool lol

got a 46 mm nut and a bit of steel welded them together and wedged it on the floor and it held the pulley. ended up snapping 3 extension bars though :0

thanks again for all your advice

8. ek_civic_brum Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

46mm??? who the heck has a 46mm nut kicking about lol!!!

glad to hear you got it off, props to you for improvising. there a pain in the ass at the best of times.

9. tobyfisher1990 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lol i no 46mm is massive just come across it in the bottom of my tool box was a great bit of luck. cheers again

10. morf Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

just buy the honda pully tool off ebay, there

11. aldo56 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I done it as follows: ( Dunno if i'd recomend doing it though)

Take your largest breaker bar and socket. Apply these to the bottom pulley bolt.

Jam the bar against the ground, ask some1 to help you here as it can get a bit crazy.

Turn the engine over so that the bar stops the nut turning. Unfotunately, as i did not realise, Honda engines turn the wrong way to do this trick. The head of the bolt then sheers off and the shaft can be tapped out using a screw driver.

Please note this may not work, you may infact be stuck with a sheered bolt in your engine!

12. tobyfisher1990 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i did see them on ebay but didnt want to wait so made a custom job for under 1pound.