Tyres & Wheels Can I fit 215,75,15 tyres

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Kibbler73, Monday 4th Feb, 2019.

1. Kibbler73 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Karl Ballard BILSTON
    Hi can anyone please help I've not long brought a 2nd Generation CR-V it has 205/70/15 tyres on at the moment, can I fit 215/75/15 on to it instead

2. DrSam H-Tune's Counsel Club H-Tune

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hello @Kibbler73 welcome to Club H-Tune
    it's customary for new members to introduce themselves via "Introduce Yourself"

Here are some useful information, please take a moment to go through them.
    "Popular Guides For New Members"

In regards to the larger tyre, it depends on the rim size, offset etc.
    This may be of use
    You'll have to make sure you have enough clearance, theoretically the 205/70/15 can be replaced with 215/75/15.
    However bare in mind the rolling radius so as going for a tyre with 75% can throw out the speedo reading as there is a difference of 5%. Therefore you will be going quicker that what the speedo is indicating.
    May I ask what's the reason you would like to increase the size of the tyre?

honda_saj likes this.
  3. Kibbler73 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Karl Ballard BILSTON
    Hi it is to take off road

4. DrSam H-Tune's Counsel Club H-Tune

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Should be fine then.

honda_saj likes this.
  5. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Matt Derby
    Not a huge difference, I imagine that would be okay. Your tyre fitter will really be the best person to ask.

honda_saj and DrSam like this.
  6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    :whathesaid:

7. super sonic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Supersoni Eastbourne
    Try asking your local tyre fitters, someone may have already done this. Btw the difference in rolling radius between 70% and 75% is NOT 5%, it is70/5 ~7% so Speedo will read 7%ovrr.

8. deviator Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm not sure the maths here is correct.

The profile rating (70/75) is the % of the width (205/215).

As such a calculator is a safe bet. Sticking the details into there shows that the circumference will -5% of the original size. It won't let me copy and paste the speedo differences, so here are the highlights....
    30 mph on speedo with 215/75 = 28.5mph
    50 mph on speedo with 215/75 = 47.5mph
    70 mph on speedo with 215/75 = 66.5mph

The height of the tyre won't be an issue as the 215/75 has a lower height. The width may be an issue, you'd want to check that adding 10mm width (5mm per side) when push the tyre into the shock/spring. If you have 5mm of space plus a 2/3mm (minimum) clearance - you should be fine.

Heckler likes this.
  9. super sonic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

215/75 has a lower height? Than 205/70? Hardly. Please check your figures.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Maths
    205mm X 70% = 143.5mm
    215mm X 75% = 161.2m
    8.0845 mm taller sidewall.
    That's a 12% increase in sidewall height.
    - - - Updated - - -
    More maths Rolling Radius
    205/70 : 668mm
    215/75 : 703.5
    A difference of 35.5mm, or 5.3% !
    Dr Sam was right all along

10. deviator Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I apologise, either I've read the calculator wrong, or it's faulty.

11. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

If you fit that size tyre, at 60mph you'll actually be doing a little over 63mph... It's actually illegal for a speedo to under read the speed you are doing, but it can over read by anything up to 10%... Most cars actually over read by a couple of mph (I've done testing with GPS in the past) and I've cured a few cars in the past that had incorrect wheels/tyres fitted.

Now if you are using them off road on private land, not a problem... unless you are driving to/from where you are going off road... which then makes it illegal and if you get caught... well insurance becomes invalid, car can be seized and all that stuff.

Throw a few different combo's in to https://tire-calc.com/# and see what fits whilst keeping you legal.

But the general rule is this... as sidewall size is a percentage of the width not an actual measurement... When you go up in width, you come down in sidewall... So to keep to that 60mph accuracy... a 215/65/15 would register 59.3mph

SpeedyGee likes this.
  12. super sonic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

"When you go up in width, you come down in sidewall"
    No. When you go up in width, the sidewall height,being a percentage of width, also goes up.

13. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

Not if you want to maintain the right circumference and keep your speedo accurate... which that entire sentence stated quite clearly... Please try not to remove pertinent information from peoples posts so you can twist them into meaning something else.