broken xbox, taking back to game?

Discussion in 'Technology, Gaming & Phones' started by large_steve182, Sunday 3rd Jan, 2010.

1. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

so my xbox is broken, not the usual red rings but the dvd drive won't recognise games, i put a game in, it sais reading for 5 seconds then just sais open tray as if theres nothing in there

done some searching on the net, and turns out the laser has probably died,

i bought my xbox last march i think at game, so its not even a year old yet, so if i go into game with my reciept what can they do? can they replace it there or will they tell me to send it off to microsoft,

plus is there anyway i can keep my harddrive, i won't be happy if i have to do all my games again,

is there a que to kick bill gates in the head i can join? if not shall we start one!

so anyone had to do this before, i know there was one guy on here who works at game IIRC.

2. Fong Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah man i work at game man, you still have warranty with us so it will be a straight swap. ask them if you can keep your hard drive when you do the swap so they would just swap the new one with your one mate.

3. Grovesy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine does this sometimes, I usually blow into the disk slot then it usually works.. Think i might need the laser cleaned..

4. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

do i need to take everything in with me, like box, controllers, leads, microphone etc.

5. Fong Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah bring everything that came with the xbox when you first brought it but while they inspect it and that make sure you tell them you wanna keep your hard drive.

6. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i don't have the controllers, i sold one of them as i only need the one, and the one i did have broke when i had a huff with it so i bought a random coloured one off ebay,

7. Fong Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

then tell them that your controller is broken, they should just replace everything you give them so if you haven't got a controller, they wouldn't give you one mate.

8. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

so if i take in the xbox, power leads etc, theyl just replace those, doesnt matter about the controllers or microphone

9. stillmatic Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

off topic but since you work there you should sort CL members out with your staff discount :Tongue:

10. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

im sure if you ask him nicely he may be able to sort you out with some codes for DLC and stuff,

guy from game in our town used to give my mate alot of stuff like xbox live 38 hour stuff

11. Fong Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah so for instance if you don't bring a controller or microphone, they will take the controller and microphone out.

discount is for family use only! lol nah i can't go through the hassle because of postage and that if it goes missing and stuff. if your close where i live then il happily do it.

12. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

cheers mate, have to take a trip in tomorrow, hopefully i get the nice guy who seems really happy that hes involved in a social situation,

or i get the pricky guido type guy who just mutters stuff at you as quick as he can and is no help at all, wanted to hit him the last time i was in.

13. stillmatic Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

i want to buy an xbox 360 lol, ah well

14. Fong Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

let me know how it gets on mate.

15. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

got it done today, got the dick guy again but he seemed alright today,

got a refurbished one, well said refurbished on the box, swapped my old harddrive in, hopefully this one should last

16. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

lulz, just check the box, theyve gave me a new controller and everything lulz

17. Jono Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I love how all the fanboys slag off ps3 yet you never see a thread started about ps3's breaking

Funny that

18. large_steve182 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i go through stages of loving and hating xbox

when it breaks i cry about not having a ps3, when i have to pay for everything i cry about not having a ps3, but when everything works its good,

i do prefer xbox live to ps3 network systemything, but 40 quid more??? i dno.

19. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if its still under warranty they should have given you a brand new one not a refurbed one

also if any shop tells you to take it up with the manufacturer then tell them to go fuck em selves cause your contract is with the shop you buy from not the manufacturer