brakes

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by lukecivic, Thursday 26th Nov, 2009.

1. lukecivic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have siezed rear calipers and i want 2 get new ones but i do not see the point gettin standerd so was wondering if any one knows what Prelude or Integra brakes fit on without modifieing the brackets ??

thanks luke

2. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Not good upgrading your rear brake unless you already have a front brake upgrade.

You don't want your brake bias to move to the rear too much as it can cause dangerous handling characteristic.

The standard rear caliper is up to the job most of the time anyways.

3. lukecivic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ye thats what i mean i was goin 2 upgrade the lot mate but need to know what fits ?? without modifieing

4. Tom1989 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Its you are 4x100, Prelude calipers fit on the front but you need MG ZS 282mm front disks. On the rear 262mm MB6 VTi-S calipers fit but you need to get the 262mm disks re-drilled from 4x114.3 to 4x100.

Hope this helps, Tom

5. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

one way or the other you will need new disk, so to upgrade mean 4x new caliper and 4x new disk.

Also, what is your standard brake? Because if you are using an Lsi with the 242mm brakes, you will need new hub also.

6. lukecivic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

not sure what size they are but they are 1.6 VTEC brakes if that helps il just have 2 buy the calipers and discs and see what fitment

7. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Right, then you have the 262mm brakes.

If you want to upgrade the rear brake, you have to upgrade the front also, or else it will be dangerous.

That is why I say if you want to do a rear upgrade, you will need 4x calipers and 4x disks.

Unless you have the 282mm front brake caliper, I personally don't think you need to upgrade the rear.

Given what you have said, I would be incline to just replace the 2 rear caliper as it works just fine now.

8. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

just get OEM ones , you don't need big rear brakes, unless its a big heavy car, Civics have probably 20% of their weight on the back, so you don't need amazing rear brakes.

just stay OEM and get a big disk upgrade on the front.

just to prove this, watch touring car racing, the front brakes are huge, thats where the weight shifts when you brake, unless your reversing..

9. lukecivic Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

don't really want to spend loads but the 282mm calipers are they off the Civic mb6 ?? il just get the front done but i do need rear calipers and mine are siezed :Frown:

10. r883 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

you can get the 282`s from a Prelude/Integra/legend (2 pots)/mb6/ and one of the mg zs

Then you need mg zs discs as well

11. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Just get the standard rear calipers.

This is your brakes we are talking about... and it isn't something you want to go cheap on.

The standard rear caliper will work fine, there is no point upgrade if it makes the car worst.

12. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The rear brakes don't actually do that much of the braking anyway, so a standard rear 242mm disc and caliper setup is more than adequate - even following a sizeable front upgrade. Just refurb your rear calipers or replace them with working OEM sized ones and focus on upgrading the fronts to 282mm if you want strong braking performance.