Detailing Best way to remove tree sap.

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Davej5, Monday 18th Dec, 2017.

1. Davej5 Premium Member Club Supporter

Dave Cornwall
    Hi guys my CR-V is parked under trees and when I washed it for the first time in a while I found there is black staining on most surfaces that won't wash off. I am assuming it is sap from the trees what is the best/easiest way to get it off. Thanks.

Dave

2. rimmo Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Charlie Brigg North Lincs
    andy83 likes this.
  3. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Peanut butter, doesn't matter if its smooth or crunchy, rub it on and let it sit for a bit.

4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
  5. honda_beginner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Clay bar might help also. Either bar or mitt. The mitt is a new fangled invention, prefer a bar myself!

FirstHonda and andy83 like this.
  6. Davej5 Premium Member Club Supporter

Dave Cornwall
    Ok I just tried autobrite tar and glue remover and it did not touch it next I tried a clay bar which shifted some of it but will take a lot of scrubbing to get it all off I think it is a fine clay though perhaps I need a coarser one.

7. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Did you try the peanut butter?

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Black staining doesn't sound like tree sap to me, more like some sort of industrial fallout. Either way, a more aggressive clay should sort it - after all, it removes overspray - try the Bilt-Hamber medium but make sure you lubricate well with water or you'll create a different problem!

honda_beginner and andy83 like this.
  9. Davej5 Premium Member Club Supporter

Dave Cornwall
    It was bilthamer clay I tried not sure what grade it was, the car has not been anywhere near any industrial plant so don't think that could be that. Part of the hedge is a Christmas tree we had rooted years ago and I planted it afterwards it is now about 40 feet high and I wonder if it is resin from that.

10. sweex Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Boomerang London
    It's more likely to be Honeydew which is secreted from aphids or the ants that are after them.
    Honeydew has a consistency like treacle and like treacle it will go black over time.
    Best to look for something that will remove treacle, LPA or even WD40 should do it, but wash it off. Depending on the area covered, it may take a lot of repeated application.

11. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Try some 'waterless wash 'n' wax'.
    Make sure the surrounding area is clean to start with and then put some WWnW on . Leave to soak in and gently dab/absorb off onto a mf towel.
    Repeat until it's all gone.

WWnW works well on bird droppings too.