Engine & Gearbox best flywheel suited to high comp b16?

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by izard-industries, Sunday 13th Dec, 2009.

1. izard-industries Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've currently got a fidanza flywheel fitted on my car now, however I've now started building up a high compression engine, so would i benifit more using the standard flywheel?

2. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

the lighter the better

3. izard-industries Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Would it nopt have a crappy idle as the engine would be rougher the lower the revs? And the flywheel would smooth it out a little?

4. Vince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This.

5. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

your gonna have a shitty idle anyway, if you want it to make power youll have to have a lightened and balanced flywheel, crankshaft and pulley, any weight just holds the engine back

6. izard-industries Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

7. jscivic Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

if you did some more reaserch youd find that companies like spoon and J's racing didnt go as light as possible as it lost power in super high rpms and doesnt like going up hill as it loses momentum etc

8. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hence why you'd have the flywheel lightened and balanced with the entire rotating assembly, it wouldn't necesarrily remove every possible scrap of metal making it featherweight, but itll be lighter than standard, at high RPM's its the balance that holds power, spoon made the block brace

9. FBP EM1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

that isnt due to your flywheel. you need to adjust your ECU mapping. i hope you are doing so as you add parts to your motor.

10. forgedb18 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ITR flywheel,, alot lighter than b16 n b18c4 n balanced aswell,, ideal,,

11. tubbyandy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A lightened flywheel should be balanced anyway!! Any flywheel wil be balanced or the rotational imbalance will destroy the engine!! Even standard flywheels in 1.2 corsas are balanced Hahaha. Matching it to the other rotational parts makes sense as the whole engine will be working in the same smooth motion and not trying to rotate weight in opposition to the other parts, but thinking that the balancing is something extra is ludicrous.