Service & Maintenance Best engine oil

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Kris the joiner, Tuesday 6th Aug, 2019.

?

Best oil you can get

1. Mobil 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Castrol edge

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Shell helix ultra

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Kris the joiner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Kris Saunders Chesterfield
    Hello, I'm new.
    We have bought a Honda CR-V car for the family car. Always wanted one for 15 years but always talk myself out of it some some strange reason. But glad we finally got one. Its lovely and smooth. And want to try our best to keep it that way.
    Now in the past I havent had the best track record of servicing our cars. Then wondering why they break down or run rough. I really want to service this Honda well and give it the beat oil you can get. (After watching YouTube videos of castrol and cars running million miles with them it seems case closed)
    I emailed Honda UK and the recommended castrol edge 0w30.
    I looked in service history and it was last serviced last year by Honda Mansfield using shell helix hx7 5w30. Well that's 3 things different to Honda UK recommend.
    1. Shell not castrol
    2. 5w30 not 0w30
    3. Shell helix hx7 5w30 is semi synthetic not fully.
    I don't like to think that the wrong stuff has been put in especially semi synthetic. I have emailed Honda Mansfield about it and they said the use hx7 5w30 and is signed off by Honda to use. I replied back saying isnt that semi synthetic and Honda says castrol edge 0w30. I have not had a reply. So I don't think I will be using that garage.
    So in answer my original question. What is the best oil you can buy. Is it castrol edge? Mobil 1 or shell helix ultra (the full synthetic stuff)
    I've spent hours googling about the best oils and them 3 brands come up as the best.
    I need help picking one to look after the engine. Its 2013 so 6 years old and done 58000 miles.
    Thank you
    Reply | Report as offensive | Edit | Link
    AETV52531693_1.

2014 Honda CR-V
    2.0 i-VTEC SE 5dr Auto Petrol Estate

£13,701

was £14,001Details
    Find more cars like this[​IMG]
    Ask Honest John

Buying Selling Owning Driving Technical Matters Classic Cars Vans Insurance Products General Feedback Mobility Good Garages Recommendation MOT Results
    Value my car

Latest posts

confused-logo-rectangle.
    Compare cheap car insurance from over 110 insurance providers. Find our best deal in minutes!
    Get a quote
    Save £75 on Warranty using code HJ75

with MotorEasy
    Get a warranty quote
    Save 12% on GAP insurance

Use HJ19 to save on an ALA policy
    See offer
    Get a Vehicle Check

with My Car Check
    Get a vehicle check
    Finance Calculator
    Amount Term 12 months 18 months 24 months 30 months 36 months 42 months 48 months 54 months 60 months Credit rating Poor Fair Good Excellent
    Calculate finance
    Elsewhere on [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Website of the Year 2016, 2017 & 2018
    - - - Updated - - -
    Not sure what's happened

2. Zebster H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

It appears that the forum is being spammed by Honest John!

I'd look in your owners manual to find the exact spec that Honda tell you to use (not just the viscosity), then buy the cheapest oil that meets this spec from a reputable supplier. You certainly don't need the 'best oil you can get' as that is just a waste in an ordinary engine.

3. Kris the joiner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry. No spam intended. I just wanted to post on here that I posted on honest John without having to retire it all out (lazy)

Anyway....
    I've been looking in the service book and noticed it was last serviced in Sept 2018 and it has done 8000 miles since.
    In the book is an invoice from a local Honda dealer for that service showing shell helix AG 5w30. I have emailed the garage and they have confirmed it's the ultra professional version. "Helix ultra professional AG 5w30". They said that's what they use.
    Is that something you recommend as the AG range is for general motors.
    Is shell any good?
    Or would you recommend a different oil brand. There is a sticker on the door jamb saying Honda recommends castrol. Also I've heard good things about mobil1.
    Thanks

4. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    Try Exol oil from eBay or lubetechshop.co.uk

5. John Hamer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Tell them you are from here, discount will apply

6. Zebster H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

I was joking about the spamming. But you do need to know the full spec of the oil you require, not just the viscosity... do you have an owners manual or do you need advice on the required oil specs?

7. Kris the joiner Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The owners manual says 0w30. But does say 5w30 can be used. Which is what Honda used last year.

So basically I'm saying can I get any better than shell helix ultra 5w30 c2 or c3?

8. ibrardad Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ibby Accrington
    0w 30 works best in mine sounds better and more fuel efficient.

9. Nels Community Staff Club H-Tune

United Kingdom JD Home
    C2
    0W-30 first choice (Best)
    5W-30 if first choice is not available. However, it will reduce your MPG.

andy83 likes this.
  10. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    these polls will often result in people shouting their favourites or what they use rather than the 'best'. Most drivers will have no clue which is best as from a driver's point of view there's typically no tangible differences to measure between different oils,

In my opinion and experience, Honda petrol engines are not fussy at all over oil. Whether you go with the 0w20 recommended by Honda today, the 0w30/5w30 they recommended 10 years ago or the 10w40 they recommended 20 years ago the difference that will be most apparent is in your wallet rather than any performance you'd notice.

I'm currently using the 0w20 exol oil from Lubetech. Can't tell you it's the best or tell you what's going on under the bonnet but I do know it burns no more than the Honda 0w20 i was using previously and is great value for money and with that I'll happily continue using it. I've in the past also used different brands of 0w30 and 5w40 on K and R series engines. All run fine with no noticeable differences between them from a driver's point of view. The fact that Honda themselves over the years have used and recommended different grades and different brands speaks volumes.

11. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Matt Derby
  12. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    I have stopped using 0W-20 Original Honda Oil because of oil consumption (2013 CR-V petrol). Now on 0W-30 Castrol edge Titanium FST.