Best albums you've ever listened to

Discussion in 'Music Section' started by D3MENT3D, Tuesday 12th Nov, 2013.

1. D3MENT3D Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As title, what are some of the best albums you've ever listened to?

Why do you love said album? And what's your favourite track on it?

I'll start with The Strokes - Is This It, basically the album that saved proper rock n roll for me, proper guitar riffs, gets you in a cracking mood and any song on there could be a single IMO. Favourite track has to be Barely Legal but there's a lot to choose from.

Blink-182 -Untitled (blink-182). Coming of age record, came out as I left school, got a lot of fond memories to this record including my first proper girlfriend. Lost the old cherry with this playing. Best track has to be Here's Your Letter

Kanye West - The College Dropout. Absolutely amazing record, at a time where all rappers were spouting the same shit, this was something fresh and new. Philosophical, well produced, great lyrics. Changed the whole rap game for me. Best track for me was Jesus Walks

I'll leave it there for now, if this hasn't put paragraphs in could a admin do it for me (iphone). And I'll be sure to check out some of your suggestions too

2. hondaej666 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The weeknd - Kiss land 

The weeknd - Trilogy

Drake - Nothing was the same

3. Stu. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ASG - Feeling Good Is Good Enough - It has everything a rock album should have IMO, in some kind of sweet spot that can't be defined between punk, rock and metal. Balls to the wall, incredible guitars, powerful vocals and plenty of variation in each song too.

Soundgarden - Superunknown - One of the best albums from my favourite period of music. I could easily list other albums from Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Nirvana etc, but while the latter's Nevermind is the one that got me into rock and will always be a bit special, Superunknown has the better written songs and gets played more often these days.

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction and Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 - All great albums and I'm sure I don't need to explain why or who they are.

Damien Rice - O - Worthy of mention as every track is a well written, tender, beautiful piece of music.

I could go on but for the most part it'll read like a who's who of rock music anyway. 

4. Kadir Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Born to Do It - Craig David.

5. Azad_R Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ICE Cube - Greatest Hits.

220px-IceCubeGreatestHits.

6. Shuthan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tinie tempah- Discovery

Sean Paul- Imperial Blaze

Michael Jackson- the Hits (Best of album)

Probably more that I can't think off.

7. Shiny Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

In no particular order and off the top of my head:

• Sonic Youth "Daydream Nation" - Sonic Youth's best LP and epitomises no wave/grunge
    • My Bloody Valentine "Isnt Anything" - still the best and LOUDEST band i have ever seen. MBV took shoegazng to a new level
    • The Smiths "A Hatful of Hollow" - helped to keep me depressed when my love life didn't shine
    • Rush "2112" - an awesome display of musical talent, closely followed by Caress of Steel
    • NOFX "The Decline" - ok so maybe more of an EP, but still probably the best song ever
    • Indian Summer "Science 1994" - a recent discover for me and possibly one of the best things i have ever heard
    • Alkaline Trio - pretty much most of their first 2 LPs plus the most awesome "97"
    • Pixies "Come On Pilgrim" & "Surfa Rosa" - musical life changing moment for me
    • Alexisonfire "Alexisonfire" - great emo LP, almost screamo
    Once you have listened to those, then you are well on your way to musical enlightenment.

8. matt.finn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'd have to narrow it down to a small few otherwise I could be here all day

Radiohead - Ok Computer

Queens Of The Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am....

Coldplay - Parachutes

9. Paddy_wants_a_VTEC Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Meek mill - dreamchasers 3

10. Dan34 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Kanye West - College Dropout

J.Cole - Warm Up (Not techincally an album)

Gang Starr - Full Clip Compilation 

Jay Z - Black Album & Reasonable Doubt

11. m4rk-01 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

For me it's Kanye West-Graduation. Love that album, every song on there is single worthy IMHO. College drop out is good as well, both albums are so different. Back when Kanye had some personality and made individual sounding stuff!!!

12. sw20 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

nelly - country grammer

the game - documentary

guns n roses - appitite for destruction

micheal jackson - greatest hits

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 14th Nov, 2013
  13. Shiny Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Lol, two entries for GnR!  Is this serious?

Terrible "mainstream" pop/rock band. 

14. Stu. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Appetite alone has sold over 30m copies to date, why is a mere two people liking it surprising?

I'm not quite sure what your point is tbh, maybe it's a poor attempt at trolling. Yes it's popular and found its way into the mainstream, but so have AC/DC, Led Zep, Black Sabbath etc because they're good. I'd hardly call it pop-rock though.

Regardless, music is like food; everyone has different tastes, sorry we don't all like My Bloody Valentine.

15. Shiny Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Not trolling at all, hopefully anyone who is serious about music should know where I am coming from.  Personally I can't stand rap, but I haven't criticized other people's choice or like for rap music, as we all have different tastes.

It's a bit like where 13 year old girls like Avenged Sevenfold and Black Veil Brides and think they are the best screamo band ever, not realising just how they are at the bottom of the scale when it comes to the genre (or the fact they aren't screamo either!)

GnR are radio/chart fodder for the masses and are near the bottom of the scale when it comes to their genre with so many better "metal" bands above them. 

MBV will never be to everyone's taste, but they still represent a pivot point in music, much like the Pixies, the Velvet Underground and other influential bands in history.  GnR are just another chart "metal" band.

Looking at your post above I see you like the grunge era.  Nirvana sadly became the pop face of grunge, which was a bit of shame, their music suffered as a result, I still hail Mudhoney as the best grunge band (arguably Mark Arm started it all with Green River). Great live band too, stage diving playing the guitar!

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 14th Nov, 2013
  16. Ben125 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ixnay on the Hombre - The offspring's probably my favourite album , love every song on it

17. snowy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

How can they be at the bottom scale of the genre, and then in brackets you say they aren't even in that genre? You spout shit!

18. Shiny Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Because of the misconception of genre of screamo.  Just because someone screams doesn't make them screamo.

Busted weren't a punk band either. But when they were about, there were 13 year old girls claiming to be into punk because they liked Busted. See?

19. snowy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Busted weren't being classed as proper punk surely? More pop rock or pop punk? And I don't see GnR as a pop rock band like you said earlier, they are completely different to busted.

So how, (according to you) can they fit in one of the same categories?

You also say you are 'serious' about music but you don't like rap, you can't be selectively serious surely? To be 'serious' you should be able to appreciate all types of music IMO

Anyways;

Bloc party - Silent alarm

Arctic monkeys -whatever I say I am.......

Lost Prophets - The fake sound of progress

Linkin Park - Hybrid theory

Foo Fighters - colour and the shape

Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP

Thin Lizzy - live and dangerous

Just realised nearly every album I own I love and I can't post them all!

iPhone no paragraphs! ^

20. Shiny Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Lol, that is exactly my point, a 13 year girl thinks that Busted are punk, in the same way they think that Avenged Sevenfold and Black Veil Brides are screamo, when in fact they are both neither.

This is why i said they are at the bottom of their genre, then put in brackets that in fact they are not even in that genre.

In other words, a 13 year old girl will rave about Black Veil Brides being the best screamo band ever, never even having listened to the likes of Damezumari, Indian Summer, Raein, Sed Non Siata, Circle Takes the Square, Suis La Lune and so on.

You can't say a potato is the best fruit ever without having tasted real fruit.