Electrical & Lights Battery discharging over a couple of days.

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Marth1951, Friday 19th Oct, 2018.

1. Marth1951 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Martin Chelmsford
    Hi my CR-V EX 2.2diesel battery keeps dicharging if car not used for a couple of days. The problem started suddenly,all has been ok for a number of months,Recharged battery a number of times and checked charging circuit,terminals etc all were ok. Replaced battery a couple of weeks ago and fitted new terminls,all was ok for until 2 days ago when battery was low again. Read that the A/C relay could be a problem but have not been able to remove(is there a tool for removing) relays are very tight.Thanks

2. hukent Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Hu Kent CARDIFF
    Faulty starter motor is another favourite for this.

3. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    Could be a faulty battery!

You need to check for a drain with a multimeter.

With the meter attached you can remove fuses and/or unplug electrical items until the drain disappears.

If you don’t know how to do this I would suggest taking car to an auto electrician or a competent garage.

andy83 likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    How's it going @Marth1951? Did you get to the bottom of this problem?

5. billycrv Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bluetooth modules also caused this issue from what I have read

6. alrhios Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom devon
    Hi Im getting the same issues... did you have any joy getting to the bottom of it please?
    Thanks Lucy

7. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Hi @alrhios - what car do you have? If you could put it in the club garage, it would help us help you more quickly.

Does your car have OEM bluetooth? They are known to stop working and drain the battery power over time. This is resolved by unplugging the bluetooth module

honda_saj likes this.
  8. alrhios Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom devon
    Thanks for your reply. I don't have the engine code at the moment, but I will upload that to the garage.
    I have the executive diesel model. I don't think it has Bluetooth? I don't know? where is the module to unplug if I do please? Im at the point ill try anything :Grin:

honda_saj likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Diesel, 3rd Generation CR-V? That'll be the N22A engine then

honda_saj likes this.
  10. alrhios Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom devon
    thanks, ill do that now :Smile:…. just looked in the book and don't think it has Bluetooth...

11. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

On your steering wheel, do you have any buttons which look like this

honda-handsfreelink-steering-wheel-mounted-controls.

I would imagine being the exec model, it does have bluetooth, but I could be wrong (regularly am depending on who you ask)

12. alrhios Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom devon
    thanks, think it has the 2 buttons, but not the middle one....
    - - - Updated - - -
    I will have to look in the morning, if it does do you know where I can find the module please??

13. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Would you be able to check just to be sure as and when you can, just so that we can rule out whether you have bluetooth or not. It is one of the most common causes on Hondas of that age

14. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    common culprit is bluetooth if not we have to do load test to find circuit causing drain

15. alrhios Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom devon
    Thanks guys, just been out and looked, no it only has the 2 buttons as pictured...

Attached Files:

16. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Yes - you have bluetooth. I will virtually guarentee that is what is causing the drain.

Bluetooth module is, I believe, behind the console shroud underneath the radio/navigation unit. You need to remove a bottom console trim which is held in place by two pop connectors. It should be tucked below that trim - a small black box with a single connector. Another way to describe its location, as you sit in the drivers seat, the plastic trim piece by the clutch pedal to the left which is part of the centre console. Unclip that, and it should be behind there. Disconnect that and it should solve it.

I will see if I can dig out a diagram for you

EDIT: I don't have access to the service manual for a CR-V unfortunately however part number 8 is the bluetooth module. So it will give you a good idea of where to look

honda_saj likes this.
  17. alrhios Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom devon
    Thank you do much I really do appreciate your help on this :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    ... on another note after the battery was totally flat, I had the PCM light come on and its stayed on....

18. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

I've edited the above post for you to reread.

And that likely just needs resetting - the error code - for it to go out.

19. alrhios Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom devon
    Fantastic, thank you so much. ill see if I can give that a try.... ill be sure to report back if thats worked. Nothing worse than reading a thread with lots of answers and no update!

Nighthawk likes this.
  20. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

If you find it works, would you be willing to repay the help by taking pictures of how to access and disable it - that way it will help any other future members with the same issue on a 3rd Generation CR-V?

honda_saj likes this.