Engine & Gearbox B18 sounds like a V8, won't idle properly etc

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by rossforest, Thursday 24th Dec, 2009.

1. rossforest Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

After a recent move to London for uni my Civic's been driven about 3 times since September. On the second drive my dizzy went and I had to fit a new one. I took it for a test drive in the rain the same night and gradually my engine sound completely changed, the car started stuttering and wouldn't idle properly.

I went through a pretty deep puddle so I assumed I sucked a load of water into the engine, I went out for a couple of 10 min drives to try to evaporate the water but that didn't help either, although if its been on for a little while it does start to idle slightly better. Most disturbingly is a pretty weird burning smell when Im static.

Where do I start guys? I have to make a 200 mile round trip for new years eve so any help would be really appreciated!

2. TAM 11M Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

might be worth checking the dizzy, check if its set up properly, i don't think the deep puddle would make such a big difference, but then again if the water gets into something in the electrical system that might not help.

if you got a video up might help some people give advice, im only speaking from my knowledge (and im ill at the moment so brains being very stupid lol) but others will know more

Elid

3. wanstar Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

as above see if the timings out after you changed the dizzy

4. Dr Motel Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

wouldn't be water, your engine would have shat itself, i am pretty sure of that.

Checked all of the points are correct? HT leads are connected properly? was the Dizzy New when you bought it?

5. rossforest Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I actually got my dizzy fixed at a garage, the fuckers took

6. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

dude just take it back to who fitted it, tell them what you told us, tell them it happened straight after the work they did and tell them to fix it!

7. rossforest Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would but its been around a month since it happened, I've just been way too busy with uni work to sort out the car, and I live on campus so transport isn't really an issue, so I doubt they'd want anything to do with it to be honest! I'll get the diagnostic codes and keep you posted. Thanks for your help everyone!

8. ecksjay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

if its sucked up water, it could be quite a bit more serious than a simple electrical problem. it could have bent valve, rods etc, which could result in poor running, if it ran at all.

9. rossforest Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What do you think the best way to diagnose it would be mate? Would it be best taking it to a garage again?

10. alcarp Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure about your problem but...

Quite possibly, seems like you have left it a bit too long to take it back to the one you got that dizzy work done at, but if you do, don't let the take your money lol.

Take it somewhere recomended to you by a friend of parents friend etc that you know won't just take you money and not care whether its fixed.

11. Guzzie Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

where you located bud? if your not too far from west london I might be able to pop up and have a quick peek at it...

12. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Pull those error codes. You may have somehow fried a fuse or sensor and the engine won't run properly as a result - its all speculation until you can see what the error codes are.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 26th Dec, 2009
  13. rossforest Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm back home tomorrow evening so I'll take a look at the codes and whack em on up here! Thanks for your help guys!!

14. jay coupe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

can someone perhaps lend u a dizzy thats nearby?see if that cures it. jay