Engine & Gearbox b18 or b16?

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by owenwashy, Wednesday 9th Dec, 2009.

1. owenwashy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I curently own a 1.6 16valve ef and thinking about a engine swap. Any ideas which would be the best a b16 or b18. Also which would be the easiest. thanks

2. Beau23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

b18.. It will be no easier or difficult whichever one you choose.. Depends on how deep your pockets are

3. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

with the b16b and b18c going for near the same price, it leaves the b16a/a2 which can't compete really. id be looking at a b18 or b20 drive-in/drive-out swap as they are getting cheaper as they become more commmon, with an easy 200bhp its worth the extra bit of money

4. owenwashy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How much for the b18 swap?

5. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

your best bet is asking someone who has done it themself, have a look in the build-up's, its easy to throw some numbers in but when you add things like clutches, timing belt and water pump etc. all standard parts to change with an engine swap, it soon adds up

6. stone119 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think a b18c4 is by far the best value , 168bhp and mate it to a y21 box for good road ratios.

7. brown4454 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

either way you need d to b mounts, and to swap the dash loom for a VTEC one, depending what obd the engine you pick is running will add a little work

once your engine is picked. do you want to stay with a cable box or upgrade to a hydrolic one? theres extra cost

how much are you willing to pay?

sub 1k will get you a basic b16a1 or a2 maybe b16a in and running. if you find a reasonable priced b18c4 that may be an option

sub 2k, dnr are doing b20's for 1600, other 400 would be on d to b mounts, b serise box and shafts

if you've more than 2k, then you can look at more options

if you want and ITR gearbox, your looking at 400-500 for that, then the hydro conversion bits to

like gunter said, while your doing a swap you might as well replace pumps belts atc, and don't forget. brakes and suspension have not been considered here. you'l want bigger brakes, and prob better suspension

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 11th Dec, 2009
  8. owenwashy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got bout 2k to spend. U know anywhere i could get a decent b18 from?

9. brown4454 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

where are you located?

10. owenwashy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

11. brown4454 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i think daz, dnr are in oxford, get yourself down there or speak to him, see what 2k would get you, never thought of turboing?

daz is the guy who did this write up

http://www.civiclife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14564

12. Beau23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

daz is a very good builder.. If i'm correct he made last months banzai with his b20 CR-X and that made very decent figures.. This guy knows his shit

13. Arvid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

go for 1,8 or 2,0. The difference in torque is impresive compared to a 1,6 especially when You use the lower and mid RPM range. A B16B will be pretty much the same up to ca 5500rpm as Your D series 1,6 (if You have the DOHC one), the big difference will be in VTEC.

14. brown4454 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i don't think you should spend all 2k on engine work

get the brakes done, sort the suspension, whatever is left, put that into engine work

you'd be mad to run a b20 on stadard 16v brakes

15. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

x2

16. Beau23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DOHC d series?

17. 689r Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeh D16A9 IIRC.

18. Beau23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

oh yeah true the non VTEC version right? i forgot about that one seen one in a old CR-X i think at a scrap yard

19. Arvid Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

D16A9 D16A8 D16Z5 (with cat.). They were very popular in II gen LHD CRXes for Europe, all DOHC 16v. With slightly mods (cheap ebay ex manifold, and intake) they are producing 140-150 HP and over 160Nm torque. As they have long stroke rods they are producing alot of torque in the mid range, same figures as a B16B (before VTEC).

20. dida4g Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ring Your Insurance Co. first.