Engine & Gearbox B16A2 tensioner not same as B16A?

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by _JT, Monday 16th Nov, 2009.

1. _JT Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm changing my timing belt and wanted to put on my new tensioner, but it's totally different :? Because of the diameter it won't fit and the bolt hole is totally different too... It's supposed to be a tensioner for a B16A2, which I assume is the same as for a B16A since they are both the same except for ECU and pistons right?

The green one is supposed to be for a B16A2. Who can help me?

2. _JT Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm changing my timing belt and wanted to put on my new tensioner, but it's totally different :? Because of the diameter it won't fit and the bolt hole is totally different too... It's supposed to be a tensioner for a B16A2, which I assume is the same as for a B16A since they are both the same except for ECU and pistons right?

The green one is supposed to be for a B16A2. Who can help me?

3. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

that must be the wrong one mate as I've done a cambelt on a b16a and my old b16a2 and they were the same!!!

4. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

that must be the wrong one mate as I've done a cambelt on a b16a and my old b16a2 and they were the same!!!

5. _JT Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok and I assume then that the green one is wrong?

6. _JT Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok and I assume then that the green one is wrong?

7. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

8. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

9. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah, the red one is a b16a2/b16a tensioner mate, the other looks more like a belt roller

10. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah, the red one is a b16a2/b16a tensioner mate, the other looks more like a belt roller

11. _JT Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kinda stupid question actually :Tongue: But thanks!

That sucks, I got the whole shite from Germany cause it was a lot cheaper but it will take quite some time to arrange a change for the right item :Frown: Is there any way to check wether the current tensioner is still good?

12. _JT Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kinda stupid question actually :Tongue: But thanks!

That sucks, I got the whole shite from Germany cause it was a lot cheaper but it will take quite some time to arrange a change for the right item :Frown: Is there any way to check wether the current tensioner is still good?

13. the mechanic Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

the best way to check the tensioner is to spin it by hand and see if it is noisey or feels rough when spinning or bolt it back on and see if there is any play in it.

i did not change the tensioner on my car as it was fine.

hope this helps

14. the mechanic Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

the best way to check the tensioner is to spin it by hand and see if it is noisey or feels rough when spinning or bolt it back on and see if there is any play in it.

i did not change the tensioner on my car as it was fine.

hope this helps

15. _JT Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok, so essentially, if it feels al smooth and no play at all, then I should be safe for a while?

16. _JT Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok, so essentially, if it feels al smooth and no play at all, then I should be safe for a while?

17. the mechanic Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yes you will be fine mate

18. the mechanic Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yes you will be fine mate