Engine & Gearbox B16 high compression?

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by izard-industries, Monday 30th Nov, 2009.

1. izard-industries Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Which pistons can you use to up the compression on a b16a2?

2. Sam. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think you can use the EK9 pistons but they need to be machine to fit the B16 rods.

3. izard-industries Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

is that the b16b engine?

and do u mean the hole in the piston where the gudgeon pin fits needs to be machined out?

4. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeeep they fit but they have to be machined!

5. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

you could try after market pistons from je? I use them and they seem really good quality. What sort of compression do you plan to run?

6. izard-industries Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

So is that the b16b ones yeah?

7. izard-industries Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Not really sure to be honest, not all that clued up on this high compression stuff :Smile:

8. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

what camshafts do you intend on using?

9. izard-industries Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

10. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if your upping the compression you would benefit from up rated camshafts!

11. .ku Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

http://civiclife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52798

12. markcivic1981 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't up the comp with out doing the cams.The gains wouldn't be worth it and you'd risk head damage. I use je 11:1 pistons with a skunk2 stage 2 head.seems to work really well together.I've heard of people going as far as 13:1 even 14:1 but theyre expensive builds running only race octane fuel.

13. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

PCT pistons (EK9 B16b) will fit into a B16A - but piston-to-valve clearances will be tight and will limit what cams you can use. You need to mill 1mm off of either side of the rod ends where the piston slots over (the small ends if you will).

If you want pistons that will leave your options open to high-end cams in the future, then you can get 11:1 aftermarket pistons on ebay

14. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^^^ as above. 13.1 is pretty much your limit for pump fuel! 12:5.1 is the most a road car should have (what CPL racing told me) but yeah no point doing high compression build without a decet set of camshafts!

15. .ku Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

not worth doing in a 1.6 IMO

need the displacement

16. TDi North Commercial Services Trader

12.5 is the 'safe' limit on 93 octane, thats what the yanks run there cars on.

with our fuels in the UK you coul go up to around 12.7:1 or even 13:1.

OP, what are your power goals?

17. Ricky@Race-Tech Commercial Services Trader

The CR is only a small part airflow is what you need an n/a don't have it. The only way to gain power is shift the powerband upwards. You can never really gain more than 10-15 ft/lbs of torque without a bigger capacity.

Regards

Ricky