Engine & Gearbox b16 head married to a b18 / b20 bottom end

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by whiteciviccoupe, Monday 16th Nov, 2009.

1. whiteciviccoupe Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well i have been viewing peoples comments about getting power out of the already highly tuned b16a2.. realy what i want to know is if i did want to change the bottom end to a bigger displacement one ( B20 - B18?) could i match it up to the B16a Head?

or would that be point less? once i had done that i would prob move on to springs,cams,and retainers

just when i view engines for sale the b18s tend to be expensive.. but you can pick a bottom end up resonably cheap!

2. whiteciviccoupe Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well i have been viewing peoples comments about getting power out of the already highly tuned b16a2.. realy what i want to know is if i did want to change the bottom end to a bigger displacement one ( B20 - B18?) could i match it up to the B16a Head?

or would that be point less? once i had done that i would prob move on to springs,cams,and retainers

just when i view engines for sale the b18s tend to be expensive.. but you can pick a bottom end up resonably cheap!

3. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

b18 will bolt straight on

a b20 will with a small bit of work, reason being b20 was never a VTEC engine, whereas b18 was, search b20vtec on google mate, 1000000000's of articles/how to's and write ups. for ease the b18 would be your best bet, for power and torque the b20.

b20's are weaker and can't/won't rev as high, the b18 was built to do both whereas the b20 was a big lazy 2litre from a 4WD

4. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

b18 will bolt straight on

a b20 will with a small bit of work, reason being b20 was never a VTEC engine, whereas b18 was, search b20vtec on google mate, 1000000000's of articles/how to's and write ups. for ease the b18 would be your best bet, for power and torque the b20.

b20's are weaker and can't/won't rev as high, the b18 was built to do both whereas the b20 was a big lazy 2litre from a 4WD

5. greasemonkey Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

having said that b20 came from 4WD.. are they NOT the same as the old Preludes???

im confused...

6. greasemonkey Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

having said that b20 came from 4WD.. are they NOT the same as the old Preludes???

im confused...

7. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

no dude they arent, that was called a b20 but was a completely different block all together, read my 1st post and it tells you the history of the b20 and how the 1st ones built worked

http://www.civiclife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3642

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b20vtec/b20vtec.php

8. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

no dude they arent, that was called a b20 but was a completely different block all together, read my 1st post and it tells you the history of the b20 and how the 1st ones built worked

http://www.civiclife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3642

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b20vtec/b20vtec.php

9. whiteciviccoupe Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hmm so the B20 has more power ECT BUT doesnt Rev as freely.. to be honest in that case i would rather bolt a b18 bottom end and then Mod the B16 head? Cams ECT?

would people think that was a good route.. considering a full b18 engine are resonably expensive :Smile:

10. whiteciviccoupe Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hmm so the B20 has more power ECT BUT doesnt Rev as freely.. to be honest in that case i would rather bolt a b18 bottom end and then Mod the B16 head? Cams ECT?

would people think that was a good route.. considering a full b18 engine are resonably expensive :Smile:

11. whiteciviccoupe Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sweet cheers giving me a fair bit to think of.. might get the b16 head all cammed up with springs and retainers.. ECT then if thats not enough B18 the bottom end :Smile:

12. whiteciviccoupe Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sweet cheers giving me a fair bit to think of.. might get the b16 head all cammed up with springs and retainers.. ECT then if thats not enough B18 the bottom end :Smile:

13. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

well a straight b18c from a DC2 would be sensible and probly end up costing the same in the long run and id imagine the power differences won't be huge either. the benefeit you would have is you could do it in stages and build to a spec. but then again you would get the reliability of a standard engine with the b18c

from what I've read about b20's is that they will anihilate a standard b18c due to the higher torque levels. im going for b20 as they are cheap and cheerfull and i want to learn from it and have something a little less common.

im pretty sure that a b20 is safe to rev to around 7.5k, obviously not as high as a b18c but they make the power lower and more of it

14. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

well a straight b18c from a DC2 would be sensible and probly end up costing the same in the long run and id imagine the power differences won't be huge either. the benefeit you would have is you could do it in stages and build to a spec. but then again you would get the reliability of a standard engine with the b18c

from what I've read about b20's is that they will anihilate a standard b18c due to the higher torque levels. im going for b20 as they are cheap and cheerfull and i want to learn from it and have something a little less common.

im pretty sure that a b20 is safe to rev to around 7.5k, obviously not as high as a b18c but they make the power lower and more of it

15. the mechanic Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i have been in civboys b20 EG and it would beat a b18c and he has still got that running on the b16 ECU check out his build thread mate

http://www.civiclife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21664

16. the mechanic Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i have been in civboys b20 EG and it would beat a b18c and he has still got that running on the b16 ECU check out his build thread mate

http://www.civiclife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21664

17. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i really want to go b20, i just want to know how fast they actually are, its so hard to explain how quick something is via words lol

i want to know will i be disappointed, will i need more power?

18. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i really want to go b20, i just want to know how fast they actually are, its so hard to explain how quick something is via words lol

i want to know will i be disappointed, will i need more power?

19. the mechanic Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

you will be very happy with a b20 the torque is mad

if im in my b16a EK and civboy is in his b20 EG in 3rd gear and pull away its like i have stopped, so yes you will want a b20 as thats the way im going now lol

20. the mechanic Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

you will be very happy with a b20 the torque is mad

if im in my b16a EK and civboy is in his b20 EG in 3rd gear and pull away its like i have stopped, so yes you will want a b20 as thats the way im going now lol