Engine & Gearbox Average Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 9th Nov, 2011.

1. DeviateDefiant Retiring 2021 H-Tune Staff

Germany Leo Kettering
    It varies depending on the engine/series but the older B/F/H series have awesome torque surges dependent on which engine. Most notably for me the Type-R H22A7 (CH6), B16B (EK9) and B18C (DC2).

More modern Hondas are far more neutered out the factory (K/R/J-Series), though the "VTEC kick" can still be pretty sweet on a stock engine with the right map.

2. Chunkylover53 Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Going back to fuel consumption - I got 23 MPG - whole car was filled to the brim too. VTEC + stop/start driving just kills fuel consumption unfortunately.

I'll update in a month or so but I expect 28+ MPG in Canterbury.

3. Harvey H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

I'd cry if I got 23mpg, its bad enougg with 33mpg at best after stepping down from 50mpg max/38min on my old diesel

4. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Wow - that's shocking.

I got rid of my E320cdi because it averaged 27mpg with mainly town driving - but that's a V6 3.0 monster with 225bhp.

5. Chunkylover53 Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's because I drive the car like its stolen. Funnily enough I used to get much better MPG when I passed my test because I wouldn't push it and my driving in general was pretty economical. I'm going to start doing quite a bit of motorway miles soon so hopefully I can go back to 30 soon.

moob likes this.
  6. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I'm too concerned about my fuel costs to drive mental. That said, I don't drive like an old man and still get 40 MPG

7. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

England Speedy Birmingham
    I got the best of both worlds .. power, quietness and refinement of a petrol with the economy at least equal to a diesel if not better :party:

8. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    That the LPG accord?

9. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

Yep, both my current cars are LPG converted

10. Harvey H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

don't you see a slight loss of performance from the lpg conversation?

11. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

Nothing that you'd ever notice.

A good while back I tried to time the difference between the two fuels on a 0-60 sprint. First two runs petrol won by something like 0.5 seconds but on the last run I managed to beat all the petrol times running on LPG :Unknown:

12. Harvey H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

You musta been cheating

13. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

I wasn't doing the timing someone else was, so could just have mistimed it.

Like I said the performance difference is negligible.

14. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll be honest and say I ain't got a scooby what mine does. I'm not that bothered either.

If the light comes on, it's a case of find the nearest Shell garage and stick some V-Power in.

15. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Works for me.... :Wink:

16. Harvey H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Just got back from my mothers which is 67.4 miles away and the satnav says the car was doing on average 39.6mpg

worked it out over the last fill up of sainsbury fuel at 119.9 for 20.83litres approx 25 quid, that she has managed an average of 37mpg over 170.4 miles.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  17. Chunkylover53 Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's really good going. I'm over the moon after working out that my last three refills all went over 30mpg (31 was the highest!). I'm pretty sure I can hit 37/8 if all my driving was on the M25, its the other motorways that kill my MPG :Frown:

18. Harvey H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

How so mate, are they all start stop traffic or something?

I'm sure that the 1.8 gets similar MPG'2 to the 2 litre doesnt it?

19. Chunkylover53 Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Speed cameras - can only do 70 plus ACPO req without getting caught. After that I'm usually the one tailgating an Audi :Whistle:

Last edited: Saturday 22nd Nov, 2014
  20. Harvey H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

oh dear, thats not good, those Audi's always get in the way, but at least your making the presence of the big H known.

I wouldn't say I'm not a speeder though, i just choose my moments carefully. I think the most I've gone is 103, of course this was on a closed road *cough cough* whilst following a CTR