Engine & Gearbox Average Fuel Consumption

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 9th Nov, 2011.

1. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Must get round to doing that myself, I keep saying that:Smile:

My consumption is even worse now I've fitted an induction kit, man the sound after 4.5k is addictive:vtec:

2. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm at 136,000 miles, so will do an EGR decoke soon, as its likely to need it.

3. blakereuben Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any ideas on a lpg conversion I've been quoted £960 all in and worked out ill make it back in 9000 miles ish but probably wrong

4. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If your keeping the car and have easy access to LPG i'd say go for it, I saw a 6th Generation for sale with LPG and it sold straight away so not only will it pay for itself within a year probably it will help sell the car in future if and when you come to that

5. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    I've managed to get my ATR down to 9MPG on track. I was quite pleased and had great fun doing it...:trampoline:

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    I can tell you all about LPG .. but what is that you want to know ?

7. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had my 2 litre for about 6 months and average around 32- 36mpg for the most part depending on how much cruising I do etc. For the most part the car is used to drive the 1.7 miles to work and back, the rest is off driving to places to take photos.

8. Chunkylover53 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's excellent going - I've had my 1.8 for well over a year and have never achieved over 33 MPG (that whole tank was on motorway miles). My avg in London is 25 whilst its 28 in Kent.

9. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Perhaps the bigger engine means it doesnt have to work as hard to keep the momentum up. Not sure, though I don't always use the loud pedal alot, I've had low numbers but those are my average numbers. A little while ago i went from fuel light to fuel light and managed 170 miles on £30 of petrol (23.64 litres ( £126.9) ) which worked about 32mpg.

Attached Files:

Nels likes this.
  10. Chunkylover53 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Possibly, I really like to push the car which doesn't really help - I should also mention that I use premium fuel too (Esso/Tesco if that counts :Laughing: and use the A/C at least once every week)

Harvey likes this.
  11. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No that doesn't help at all, though a week ago had the Accord over a ton..... on a closed road of course
    I don't use premium fuel, it just gets the Morrisons 95RON stuff as its the cheapest, though I've been known to use Shell, but not the Vpower, and it runs fine on that. I too use the A/C at least once a week to keep it in tip top condition, even if the condenser is abit knackered. Just had it gassed as well for £30, after it ran out.

12. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

That's a smart looking car @Harvey :Thumbup:

20513-66d3ed4451044c5c7dfbba18c0be1844.

13. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks @Nels, I like to keep her cleann and in as best a condition as I possibly can, fell really lucky with her as well, she needed some loving but she's on the road to recovery.

BeeCee likes this.
  14. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    As im a honda noob, what do people mean when the VTEC kicks in?

15. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think it stems from an internet meme about Honda's VTEC variable valve timing system, pertaining to the pleasure of the sound and sense of power it gives,

Hondas are know for their high revving engines with the variable valve timing VTEC stands for Variable Timing Electronic Control. and this opperates at different ranges on different series of Honda engines. In the case of your F20B6 engine it operates or kicks in at 4500rpm
    This video should help explain how it works.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  16. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    At 1st i got confused when i 1st saw my engine, as it is the 2 litre, when i opend the bonnet, it looked like a SOHC ,but says 16 valve, and im thinking hold on don't you need twin cams, then i researched, and the single cam is apperently more reliable and lighter, and gives more torque from lower revs.

17. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats correct the F20B6 is a SOHC, but has 16 valves. and if your from Vauxhalls, its also mounted on the wrong side. Your probably right about the reliability of the SOHC, but there is a JDM version of the F series engine thats 2 litre and twin overhead cam.

18. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

I like ericthecar guys videos - he explains thiings really well.

19. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Nighthawk He does, some on here don't like his methods, but i think he's pretty darn good also, and his brake caliper video helped me out quite abit.

20. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    You're probably referring to me there @Harvey. I have said in the past that I think some of his methods are unorthodox but I do agree that his informative videos are really good.