anyone ever owned a s13 200sx?

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by chelt_scene, Tuesday 22nd Dec, 2009.

1. chelt_scene Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

me and my mate matt are thinking off buying one off someone he works with no the details i have atm are kinda vaige but ill have some better info tonight.

just wondered what problems there are with them? ino the rear arches rust.

the engine HAS been rebuilt and it has a new box in there.

is standard apart from the exhaust.

as i say ill get more info and pics tonight.

the guy is selling it cos he is getting a company car and therefore doesnt need it anymore so its pretty cheap so we thought 50/50 split for it.

just as a weekend drift car and project:Grin:

and i just had to put this in cos it makes me lol no relivence to the thread at all :Tongue: :TIS:

2. northwestcivic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lex on here has an s13 the guy that does the stickers IIRC...

3. chelt_scene Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah ino him ill pm him later when i have more details :Grin:

4. Dr Motel Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

the CA18DET's are prone for shitting themselfs, the bottom ends go between 80k-100k and sometimes in a rather spectacular fashion. But that said, if ,the egine has been well maintained and looked after you shouldnt have a problem here.

Rear arcbhes, sills, chassis rails, floors all need to be checked, dependant on how the car has been kept many of these places will 100% have rust but to what extent i wouldn't know.

the cars are fun but a tad over rated. I would lov eanotherone but their prices are becoming stupid because so many people want to become then next Ken Nomura

5. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If its in good order, you can run stage 1 levels of power very reliably - the Horsham Developments chip gives you about 220-230bhp. I wouldn't go for more, several friends can attest to that. At Stage 1 it is more than powerful enough for drifting and really quite quick given the fact that it uses the stock turbo - so it has lots of mid-range.

Other than that it is only rust that can be a problem per se.

The handling is rubbish as well, you'd want coilovers and a brake upgrade

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 22nd Dec, 2009
  6. aldo56 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I thought about one, read a load of horror stories and bought a BMW 328i sport m-tec lol.

Good for drifting, more reliable (if you get the right engine) and most likely cheaper.

7. chelt_scene Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah its just for a bit of weekend fun really.

8. the mechanic Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i have had one went through 3 engines in mine lol i would advise fitting a oil catch tank or breather to stop the gases re entering the head as it helps to keep them running a bit longer, i found that out after my 3rd engine when i lost all interest in it.

they are a very fun car to drive and drift so any problems you might have just give me a pm. I also have the nissan workshop manual for the s13 and i think i have got quite a fewspare bits if you need any thing.

9. Ash-310 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

my mate has a ps13 with a 300bhp sr20det for his weekend fun car. you will have hours of fun if you do get one matey :Wink:

10. Dr Motel Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

PS13's are in a totally different leauge in my opinion. just like the 180sx's and s14/a's

CA's are utter shit compared to SR's, i would even go as far to say SR's are on par with RB's.

11. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be fair the S13s major drawbacks can be rectified by dropping an SR20DET engine in - a much better engine than the CA. The CA will practically explode at 300bhp on stock internals but the SR will take that with a stage 1 chip. The only issue with that engine can be VVC rattle, but its only common to poorly serviced engines. If you buy an engine from a reputable source, then id say its unlikely to be a problem.

12. Dr Motel Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

as said above VVC rattle can sometimes be a problem on SR20s but if well maintained this shouldnt be a issue!

SR's can be tuned for big big power. RB's are getting a fair bit of competition from redtops at the moment!

13. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

RB engines fit in S13s as well

14. Lex. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd say if its cheap enough buy it and don't worry. If something breaks its not your daily driver so who cares. I've had loads of shit go wrong with my CA but it doesn't matter I don't need it to be a work horse so it can sit there till I cba.

Mines running stage 1 now and thats ample to get the back end out. If it blows up I'll get an RB25 and whack that in, they are going for peanuts anyway now.

Weekend fun toy - they are a WIN

Daily driver - they are a definate LOSE

The thing I've been so shocked about since owning it are how cheap parts are. There is a definate honda taxation we have all become so used to.

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 22nd Dec, 2009
  15. boro_andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That they do, i have one in my 180sx.

As already mentioned, rust and expanding the power beyond its means are the main things to watch out for.

But again they can be good cars if well maintained. If its literally just for a weekend toy its a worthwhile investment depending on how cheap it is. Just don't plow shit loads money into the ca as its not worth it at all IMO

I would agree with the comment on sr is equal to and rb. Bar the gearbox, sr20 gearbox is made of cheese when pushed passed 350 BHP.

I only went RB25 for reliable power and having 350bhp and it being easy for it. And the noise :Grin: :TIS:

16. Dr Motel Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

yes RB's do fit, but i thought i would sort of be contradicting myself if i went on about dropping a RB25DET in

but man it up and drop in a RB26DETT!